Illegal tree felling in England to be punishable with jail and uncapped fines

Steve Bullman

I won't hold my breath for many convictions. As with all new laws they introduce, they are only any good if enforced, and importantly and crucially IF there are any police officers to enforce them.....or can be bothered to.

Mind you easy, soft targets seems to be the 'go to' places for forces to improve their crime figures, so with that in mind, I will have to contradict myself, and will no doubt see loads of convictions for this offence, while the more difficult job of catching burglars, rapists, robbers, vandals and the like will no doubt take a further back seat.

Edited by pleasant
  • Like 7

Doesn't appear the police have a role in enforcement.

The Forestry Minister, Trudy Harrison said

"These robust measures, implemented as part of our world-leading Environment Act, empower the Forestry Commission to tackle the issue head-on with unlimited fines and custodial sentences for the worst offenders.”

• Like 1

And with what limited budget are the forestry commission going to be able to investigate.

Is it going to be a private prosecution if the CPS and police aren't involved?.

As one would assume if it's a private prosecution it would be like a court case over a breach of contract.

But saying that, wouldn't it be the crown Vs ..

Edited by GarethM
  • Like 1