Best log burner for heat

Hello need help switching my new log burner to a newer one I have a 4.8kw stovax Stockton which is okay but when it’s really cold it struggle to give enough heat even just for the one room it’s in. We want something which gives off more than enough heat which we then have to open the doors in the house to let the heat circulate the house. Any help or advice would help 

Above 5kw you will need to add an air brick into the room won't you? Can't rely on the house drafts to keep air for the fire..

Sound like you want to go larger than 5kw, if 5kw at the moment isn't doing the heating.

Most of big brands will be good - we looked at Stovax, Burley sounds decent (in the end we got the one that Mrs P liked the looks of). 

If the surroundings are built to a 5kw stove then they will need to be adjusted to fit a more powerful one

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 22/12/2022 at 18:50, Connagh said:

Problem is I’ve got to not go to big in the actual size of the stove we had a stud wall fitted around it with the tv etc so it also means I may have to adjust all that so it’s not too close to the cement board as it’s all been made to there regulations 

The main difference between varying stove outputs is the size of the stove and the amount of fuel you can get on it so if you want more heat you have to go

bigger.

You may see small stoves with larger outputs but it's all smoke and mirrors .

A fire opening should be built to regs with no flammable material hidden behind cement boards so that if anyone comes along in the future they can fill the available space to the stove manufacturers specs.

You're burning shit wood or have some other problem. I've a Stockton 5 and it is sufficient to heat a whole 1930s built 3 bed semi down to outside temps of about 5-6C, colder and I light a second stove.

I do run it hard though.... It is suffering after 6.5 years and 45+cube through it.

• Like 1

Different houses, locations, insulations, firing regimes and definitions of 'really cold', my 5kw stove is doing OK, stop fuelling it at supper time this week, and it is 5 to 6 degrees outside. Really cold the other week, -7 to -10 and it struggled we had to use the electric heater.

Looking back at this, you might cost up the work to get a larger stove, and any changes, decorating and so on to the fireplace, might be cheaper to upgrade all the insulation, same effect of a warmer house with ongoing energy savings? Not sure if you have a suspended floor - we insulated under that and it made a noticeable difference. Cost about £2 a sq m, DIY 100m rock wool, next job is insulating under the eves and not just the ceiling joists and I'd guess will be about £3 a sq m (cause it slopes, costs more) for 100mm rockwool (probably go better and thicker up there next though)

19 hours ago, neiln said:

You're burning shit wood or have some other problem. I've a Stockton 5 and it is sufficient to heat a whole 1930s built 3 bed semi down to outside temps of about 5-6C, colder and I light a second stove.

I do run it hard though.... It is suffering after 6.5 years and 45+cube through it.

You’ve just contradicted yourself there. 

If he’s not abusing his Stove like you indicate you are then he must be burning shit wood. 🤷🏻‍♂️🙄

19 hours ago, neiln said:

I could not work this out . How do you heat something down to 5-6C ? Then I realized there should be a full stop after semi ! 😀