Electric splitters. Again

david lawrence

How long will the extension be and how close to your consumer unit? I run my 3kw splitter on a heavy duty 2.5mm extension plugged in a socket near the consumer box to minimise voltage drop. I've not had any issue but I'd expect any warranty would be invalid. These people list the voltage drop on their extensions: www.industrialextensionleads.co.uk

Run my rock splitter off a 25m 16amp caravan extension cable with the round 3pin sockets replaced for standard 13amp plug and socket, just uprated the circuit breaker at my consumer unit from a standard A rated breaker to a C rated breaker to stop it tripping due to initial load on start up. Not had any issues and in its fourth year of use now.

Edited by Ratman
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Ratman said:

Run my rock splitter off a 25m 16amp caravan extension cable with the round 3pin sockets replaced for standard 13amp plug and socket, just uprated the circuit breaker at my consumer unit from a standard A rated breaker to a C rated breaker to stop it tripping due to initial load on start up. Not had any issues and in its fourth year of use now.

Do you mean you swapped a blue 16A 3pin for one of the usual modern 3 square pin with the plastic bits on the live and neutral legs?

Whilst these are arguably safer  (the longer earth operates the shutter and then the L &N  do not connect until the metal contacts are no longer exposed) they do not carry more than 10Amps before they get too hot. This is because the brass under the plastic  is so much thinner and has higher resistance.

I keep meaning to fit a 16A socket outside for just this reason, in the meanwhile my extension has one of the older metal legged 13A plugs.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, openspaceman said:

Do you mean you swapped a blue 16A 3pin for one of the usual modern 3 square pin with the plastic bits on the live and neutral legs?

Whilst these are arguably safer  (the longer earth operates the shutter and then the L &N  do not connect until the metal contacts are no longer exposed) they do not carry more than 10Amps before they get too hot. This is because the brass under the plastic  is so much thinner and has higher resistance.

I keep meaning to fit a 16A socket outside for just this reason, in the meanwhile my extension has one of the older metal legged 13A plugs.

Yeah i fit one of the more rugged looking orange modern plug and socket. The initial advert from them when i was buying the splitter said they can be run on a traditional 13amp plug at home. This to me was brilliant, a good output splitter run off a standard mains socket, whats not to like. Did a bit more digging and ended up ringing them to place the order, very helpful lot, all good to deal with etc, the lass on the phone just said at the end of the conversation, if your going to use an extension lead to run it off then use a good heavy duty one, so made up the 25m lead as it was a spare anyhow. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, JDon said:

I'm looking for a splitter for the garage.

It'll be fine in the garage. The problems will start when you take it to the log pile and try splitting with it.

I haven't owned one but know someone who did, it didn't last very long at all. I guess it all depends what you try to split with it though, going to be a very light duty machine.

33 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:

It'll be fine in the garage. The problems will start when you take it to the log pile and try splitting with it.

I haven't owned one but know someone who did, it didn't last very long at all. I guess it all depends what you try to split with it though, going to be a very light duty machine.

Ah fair play. I was also looking at the SIP 5 ton one for 300 quid delivered. Don't really want to spend a lot of money on one right now as gonna have to buy other stuff.