Anyone been assaulted at work?

Doug Tait

I've had a lot of abuse from the general public over recent weeks while doing traffic management for roadside work, several threats of violence, a couple of people even got out their vehicle to "do me in", all in the name of being delayed for a few minutes by a traffic light.

Today we were working over a busy junction so 4 way lights operating, unfortunately someone posted on Facebook last week the lights are broken which has led to a substantial amount of drivers ignoring red lights, it was mayhem. When this happens I'll stop them and explain what's happening and how it is for their and our safety. A guy in a Navara took exception to being delayed and when I tried the polite explanation he totally lost it, came out his window punching me before trying to drag me by the collar alongside his truck! I dissuaded him at that point by gently squeezing his windpipe until he let go, then a lady got out her car filming him and asked if I wanted the police which calmed him down and he apologised.

I know as a driver myself how frustrating it is to be delayed but what gets in to people to behave like this over a couple of minutes at a traffic light?

Anyone else been assaulted at work?

• Sad 10

7 minutes ago, Doug Tait said:

I've had a lot of abuse from the general public over recent weeks while doing traffic management for roadside work, several threats of violence, a couple of people even got out their vehicle to "do me in", all in the name of being delayed for a few minutes by a traffic light.

Today we were working over a busy junction so 4 way lights operating, unfortunately someone posted on Facebook last week the lights are broken which has led to a substantial amount of drivers ignoring red lights, it was mayhem. When this happens I'll stop them and explain what's happening and how it is for their and our safety. A guy in a Navara took exception to being delayed and when I tried the polite explanation he totally lost it, came out his window punching me before trying to drag me by the collar alongside his truck! I dissuaded him at that point by gently squeezing his windpipe until he let go, then a lady got out her car filming him and asked if I wanted the police which calmed him down and he apologised.

I know as a driver myself how frustrating it is to be delayed but what gets in to people to behave like this over a couple of minutes at a traffic light?

Anyone else been assaulted at work?

Got hit over the back of the neck in Brazil a few weeks ago. Nearly collapsed but when I kept upright they ran off. 🤷‍♂️ Was a busy beach so I assume they wanted an easy target, 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Taking a swing at anyone like that is a definite police only, apologies count for nothing.

Might be time to invest in a cheap go pro for whoever is on lollipop duty. Not saying I wouldn't get frustrated, but to assault someone crosses a line where you wonder what they'd do to their wife.

• Like 1

I’ve been close .. one particular nasty run in with a wanna be gangster who didn’t like waiting at traffic lights left me wondering how warm was my t540 is since coming out of the tree is and will it start first pull… I think he sees sense with the backing up traffic and threatens to come back and shoot me later.

It never ceases to amaze me what absolute wankers there are out there and idiot drivers.. my old man was doing dangerous trees on the a68 near Burness , a woman ploughs in to the traffic management as they where setting up ignoring all lights and signs and one of the lads gets pinned by a jack knifed trailer and has to get airlifted out.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

30 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Had he landed one on you, on film, he’d surely be looking at porridge.

Maybe for a fourteenth offence while on a bender for forty other things. Otherwise no chance. Someone pulled a baton on me the other week (not at work). Witnesses. Police couldn't have cared less. One control room bint told me it was a civil matter because it was connected to a civil matter.

"Smashing. I'll go back and kill him then."

• Like 7