Football ⚽️

Patrick goulding

Usual over reactions from people that rarely watch football and have never played. Ref missed a couple of fouls on sakka in the first half, but to say it was the worst referee performance ever!

Get yourself down to a Liverpool and District Sunday league game this morning,  you'll see some crackers

I came home yesterday just at the start of the second half of the Maroc v Portugal match, to a wife totally electrified, never seen her so animated.

Leaping out of her chair, punching the air, hands covering face, more air punching, kicking the air, it was infectious.

So I sat with her and watched the rest of the game.

First ever time I have enjoyed watching football.

Now I am certainly no pundit but it was as if the two sides were playing for more than just to win. 

Whilst the later Englerland v France was less exciting.

Like two 18th century 3 deckers trying to block anothers wind whilst briefly engaging cannon fire.

It lacked the energy of Maroc v Portugal.

In Rabat, the King and Crown Prince left the palace to mingle with the crowds.

On the pitch, a players mother, half his height and dressed in the white of a pilgrim was hugging her son.

Telling ya, whatever people might think of Islam etc, the people of Morocco are the happiest, generous most open people I have have ever had the privilege of being amongst.

Whether their team makes it further or not, their efforts this time will be remembered for along time in every lost hamlet of the Atlas to the Saharan frontier camps.

552020.png

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Ty Korrigan said:

I came home yesterday just at the start of the second half of the Maroc v Portugal match, to a wife totally electrified, never seen her so animated.

Leaping out of her chair, punching the air, hands covering face, more air punching, kicking the air, it was infectious.

So I sat with her and watched the rest of the game.

First ever time I have enjoyed watching football.

Now I am certainly no pundit but it was as if the two sides were playing for more than just to win. 

Whilst the later Englerland v France was less exciting.

Like two 18th century 3 deckers trying to block anothers wind whilst briefly engaging cannon fire.

It lacked the energy of Maroc v Portugal.

In Rabat, the King and Crown Prince left the palace to mingle with the crowds.

On the pitch, a players mother, half his height and dressed in the white of a pilgrim was hugging her son.

Telling ya, whatever people might think of Islam etc, the people of Morocco are the happiest, generous most open people I have have ever had the privilege of being amongst.

I spent five days in the Atlas last June so have massive experience of the country 🙄 but in that short time I was struck by how open, friendly and downright happy the Berbers were that we met.  Very poor people completely happy with their lives.  I was almost jealous

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Con said:

Usual over reactions from people that rarely watch football and have never played. Ref missed a couple of fouls on sakka in the first half, but to say it was the worst referee performance ever!

Get yourself down to a Liverpool and District Sunday league game this morning,  you'll see some crackers

I can understand Sunday league mate but not at that level. 

When I finished playing for the village they dragged me out to referee a couple of matches when they didn’t have an available ref.

One match was ok, the next was a nightmare, the opposing team constantly accusing me of bias, the manager coming on to the pitch to confront me, all in an effort to get me to abandon the match.

I was harangued especially by one player openly insulting me.

When I blew the final whistle  I confronted him (in an aggressive manner) and all of a sudden he didn’t want to know, walked off ignoring me.

It’s a very hard job, everyone who plays should ref a few matches.

Pic of me in ‘94 ish

image.jpg

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 6