Does this qualify as a shit day?

Bocca

Climbing a Lebanese Cedar today. Get to the top, get a cambium saver set up and then come back down for lunch. I’ve just bought a MultiSaver from Teufelberger. So I take that back up the tree with me to install it. Fiddle about with it for abit, and end up repositioning it a couple times. Then start getting some branches on the deck. 

Every so often I get a whiff of dogshit. The garden was a minefield but we had cleared it all up in the morning so my first thought is maybe we’ve missed abit and I’ve got some on my boots. Quick look and can’t see anything so I carry on working. 15 mins later get another whiff. Can’t for the life of me figure out where it’s coming from. 

Until it’s time to get out the tree and I get back to my anchor. Somehow, some way, a turd has hitched a ride up my climbing line and settled on one of the rings on the cambium saver. It’s then been glossing a very fine coat of dog shit on my rope ever since. Not enough to smear or squash itself. But enough to hit my nostrils every 15mins. 

Answers on a postcard please. 

0A28D5D1-575F-4F73-BC6A-2D003169691B.jpeg

Edited by Bocca
Error
  • Like 2
  • Haha 20
  • Sad 3

2 minutes ago, Bocca said:

Climbing a Lebanese Cedar today. Get to the top, get a cambium saver set up and then come back down for lunch. I’ve just bought a MultiSaver from Teufelberger. So I take that back up the tree with me to install it. Fiddle about with it for abit, and end up repositioning it a couple times. Then start getting some branches on the deck. 

Every so often I get a whiff of dogshit. The garden was a minefield but we had cleared it all up in the morning so my first thought is maybe we’ve missed abit and I’ve got some on my boots. Quick look and can’t see anything so I carry on working. 15 mins later get another whiff. Can’t for the life of me figure out where it’s coming from. 

Until it’s time to get out the tree and I get back to my anchor. Somehow, some way, a turd has hitched a ride up my climbing line and settled on one of the rings on the cambium saver. It’s then been glossing a very fine coat of dog shit on my rope ever since. Not enough to smear or squash itself. But enough to hit my nostrils every 15mins. 

Its a neat trick ill give you that 😀

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Bocca said:

I wonder if any tree surgeons include a clause in their quote to the effect that if any dog doo da is encountered there will be an extra charge?

I certainly make it very clear to my customers that I will charge every minute of my time taken dealing with hidden nails when I am milling their logs!  Is this what you guys do for this type of log?  I am guessing it took you a while to properly clean and disinfect your gear after this little incident?

8 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

I wonder if any tree surgeons include a clause in their quote to the effect that if any dog doo da is encountered there will be an extra charge?

I certainly make it very clear to my customers that I will charge every minute of my time taken dealing with hidden nails when I am milling their logs!  Is this what you guys do for this type of log?  I am guessing it took you a while to properly clean and disinfect your gear after this little incident?

TBF most customers will clear the garden if they know you’re coming. That or give it the “oh I was going to clear up but you’re here early!” spiel when they see you with a shovel in hand. The ones that don’t clear up are just arseholes. But I just make sure I leave one of my own on the lawn before I leave. 

as for the rope It will need a good soak that’s for sure. But I flicked the turd off with a stick, got myself down and left the rope and the anchor in the tree. Only one thing worse than dealing with a shitty rope and that’s dealing with a shitty rope in the dark. Will cross that bridge tomorrow 😂

We once turned up to a rather posh residence somewhere near Sevenoaks.

Nice House, Range Rover, big landscaped garden covered in dog eggs.

I knocked on the door and a rather fit looking bird in her 30’s answered the door.

I explained that we needed the garden clear before we would do any work and the dog had laid eggs everywhere, “did she have a ‘poop a scooper’?”

She went back in the house and came back with a shovel and tried to hand it to me.

I just walked off.  She didn’t have to be an expert in body language to work out I wasn’t clearing up the dog shit her dog had left.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

I have a draft set of terms for if I ever end up doing a significant amount of end client work. They include a finder's fee for animal shit (as well as loads of other useful things like instructions to not build new sheds underneath already quoted trees). People will be eating their pets soon anyway. Won't be a problem.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2