Petrol Saw Bench

Cosmiccrofter

I'm looking for a petrol powered bench saw to cut billets, I want get rid of my tractor powered one, and came across this:

WWW.HARTNETT-PRODUCTS.IE

NEW Petrol Log Saws for sale from Hartnett Products.  Never has there been a safer and more efficient way to cut lengths of...

Has anyone bought/used one that can comment?

Not used but but have looked at Harnett before, it looks the same old chinese stuff, built to a price.

They don't state a weight, but this one looks simillar and it is 140kg

https://www.brmachines.com/products/700mm-petrol-log-saw-13hp-electric-start

(the simillar balfor saw bench is about 200kg, so not much metal in the china ones)

Why are you wanting to get rid of the tractor saw bench?

I’m assuming you want rid of the tractor bench as it’s the old school table type with maybe a sliding carriage?

I have no experience of that sawbench you posted but there can’t be much to it. Honda copy engine (reliable enough), some bearings and a blade. 

I have a very similar one. As stated above, chinese copy honda engine, which has been very reliable. The biggest issue is the blade. It is very thin and likes to have a bit of a wobble after a cut. They may have improved the blade by now. I  think I paid £600-ish new, certainly wouldn't want to pay £1650 for one. Was going to sell mine for £300 the other week, but sold the processor instead.

3 hours ago, shillo said:

I can't work out why the balfor one only has a 6hp engine and most of the others ive seen have 13hp engines

Probably a bit like with the cheap chainsaws you see that are 80cc and aimed at homeowners!

The 6hp engine is plenty most of the time, but is a bit underpowered when cutting up to the limit of 300mm. I've never measured consumption, but it seems very frugal on fuel.

ive got the bigger 750 one which is meant to cut 13''.... not a chance unless its a fencepost maybe. I did think about putting in a bigger engine but there is hardly any room especially as you have to allow a bit of room for the belt tension adjustment. I'm not impressed with it, probably be great with pro power but the engine option is massively underpowered imo. the engine mount sliding thing broke after 6months, not interested in a warranty claim. I had to get it welded up and strengthened myself.

If considering a circular saw for firewood get one that throws the sawdust away and down from operator as some throw it towards operator. On size of engine it depends what you will be cutting, if mostly split billets >150mm dia a smaller engine will do and uses less fuel if a petrol engine also depends on species and if seasoned hardwood etc. We've bought a Balfor 700 rocking petrol saw bench in 2014 (£2190 incl. vat at the time) which has a max cutting dia of 295mm however that has to be wood that is easy to cut, more like 150mm it in my experience. It has the Chinese RATO 6 hp (212ml) engine - Honda copy as has been posted out.  It's on the whole a well made machine and has roller bars in the cradle as well on the log support both of which some saws don't have). Maintenance repairs in 8 years with low to medium usage have been one of bracket supporting engine snapped and had to be welded 2 years ago (no problem since), belt needed replaced 2 years ago and there was difficultly in starting engine for a short period 2 years ago - probably seemed to be with not turning fuel off when not in use and/or having been transported with fuel not turned off, it's running well now but always turn fuel off and using Aspen 4 only, starts usually on 2nd/3rd pull from cold or first pull when often when warm. Did think of getting a Posch at the time which is well made and has a much bigger engine but was a lot more expensive and some of the cheaper ones out looked at don't seem as good. Never had a problem getting parts and the support from UK Balfor rep has been very good. The blade is tungsten tipped and never been sharped in 8 years but seems to be loosing its edge a bit now so will get it looked at when time allows but still cutting reasonably well billets <150mm but des jam on larger dia gnarly seasoned hardwood. It's heavy to move about yard but and very noisy so use Peltor X5 Extreme (37db) and double up with ear plugs!