Past it???

Ben10

4 minutes ago, john87 said:

I never claimed i was an ecology expert or any other kind of expert.. Do not even want to be TBH. The OP came on and asked for business ideas related to trees, so i came up with a very good one.. Problem with that??

john..

The OP came on looking for advice about his career choices in Arb, as you have zero experience in Arb, Forestry or the Ecology sector, I question the value of your opinion, problem with that?

10 minutes ago, MattyF said:

Really because they stopped me from working on a willow over a school playground and class room that had split in half and was hung up over a class room …. Absolute waste of my time for 4 hours listening to some twat read me my rights for disturbing a supposed bats nest in the tree, how fi king dare they over ride the parking of there cars over Childrens safety , any way there was more chance of them using my arse crack as roost than this particular tree, still made me lower out every bit so they could inspect for bats though.. again a compromised tree with no rigging or climbing anchor points.. waste of space and opinion. 

Like you Matty, most people in this industry have no desire to deliberately destroy wildlife habitat, the Ecologists main role in our situation is to prevent us breaking the law. Sometimes it costs us time and money and can be frustrating, I have had some ridiculous situations over the years, which is my main point, you have experience in these matters so I respect your opinion.

I have an Ecologist story that I would not dream of repeating on an open forum, I will PM it to you if you like?

2 minutes ago, 5thelement said:

Like you Matty, most people in this industry have no desire to deliberately destroy wildlife habitat, the Ecologists main role in our situation is to prevent us breaking the law. Sometimes it costs us time and money and can be frustrating, I have had some ridiculous situations over the years, which is my main point, you have experience in these matters so I respect your opinion.

I have an Ecologist story that I would not dream of repeating on an open forum, I will PM it to you if you like?

Aye why not , if you have the time im up for a laugh… In situations like that I find it difficult to remain calm .. all character building I guess. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, 5thelement said:

I’d get it on this…. I’ve got plenty to share. I’ll show you mine if you show me yours! 

3 hours ago, 5thelement said:

The OP came on looking for advice about his career choices in Arb, as you have zero experience in Arb, Forestry or the Ecology sector, I question the value of your opinion, problem with that?

No, but the OP came on asking for ideas, as he said."(not necessarily climbing work, maybe something auxiliary like stump grinding?"

I merely pointed out that creeping around after bats would possibly be a good idea, which it is.. Got any better ones??

john..

11 hours ago, john87 said:

I merely pointed out that creeping around after bats would possibly be a good idea, which it is.. Got any better ones??

Creeping around for bats! That would involve climbing then. He would also need a bat license and probably an Ecology degree, this would take years, so not really a good idea for someone wanting to get into Arb now.

On 19/11/2022 at 19:46, Ben10 said:

Evening all, in my 20’s I got talked out of getting into the arb business and have regretted it ever since, but now I’m 45 with mortgage, wife, kids etc and have financial responsibilities. I can’t decide if at 45 I’m over the hill for starting as a newbie or a good way into the business (not necessarily climbing work, maybe something auxiliary like stump grinding?) Basically if you were me where would you start? Thanks for any replies guys😁👍

Morning Ben. 
45 is not too late to start in Arb, especially if it is something you have wanted to do since your 20’s and are determined, I have trained lots of people a lot older than you.

Stumpgrinding is a tedious job on a permanent basis, the machines take a beating so you would need to have a good knowledge on the tools to keep maintenance costs down. A decent machine will be a large investment too. Many Arb guys have their own machines or use Stumpbusters, so hard to maintain continuous work. 
Basis NPTC ticket for Chainsaw Maintenance and Cross cutting, two days training and one day assessment would cover you for using the saw on the ground and preparing for the chipper, this could get your foot in the door with local Arb guys,which will give you a taste of the job, allow you to earn some money why you develop an idea of where you want to go with it.

If I was determined to go for it I would buy a used transit tipper and a Timberwolf 150, if you can’t make money and get into the job with that, your never going anywhere. You could cut up small trees/clearance/ hedges and gardens, get a climber in as required until you develop a customer base and see which direction the business is taking you. 
Very little money to invest with a mortgage and family will be the hardest obstacle starting off, good luck.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 5thelement said:

Morning Ben. 
45 is not too late to start in Arb, especially if it is something you have wanted to do since your 20’s and are determined, I have trained lots of people a lot older than you.

Stumpgrinding is a tedious job on a permanent basis, the machines take a beating so you would need to have a good knowledge on the tools to keep maintenance costs down. A decent machine will be a large investment too. Many Arb guys have their own machines or use Stumpbusters, so hard to maintain continuous work. 
Basis NPTC ticket for Chainsaw Maintenance and Cross cutting, two days training and one day assessment would cover you for using the saw on the ground and preparing for the chipper, this could get your foot in the door with local Arb guys,which will give you a taste of the job, allow you to earn some money why you develop an idea of where you want to go with it.

If I was determined to go for it I would buy a used transit tipper and a Timberwolf 150, if you can’t make money and get into the job with that, your never going anywhere. You could cut up small trees/clearance/ hedges and gardens, get a climber in as required until you develop a customer base and see which direction the business is taking you. 
Very little money to invest with a mortgage and family will be the hardest obstacle starting off, good luck.

Thanks for the practical advice 👍 I think all things considered I’m going to start a grass cutting round and try get hedge work as well. This will hopefully pay for my basic ticket and some equipment (as suggested) to progress from there. 🤞

• Like 3