Sole trader or limited pros and cons

Newtons

Not this again. First things first; a company has to be LTD. If it's not LTD it's not a company. That's not to say you can't have a viable business as a sole trader, you just can't call it a company. 

I have 2 preferences. For small businesses, I prefer sole trader status. Do a VAT return every quarter, payments on account twice a year, and self assessment once a year and then do whatever you damn well like with the money.

For a large business ( probably to be grown to IPO), go LTD right from the start. 

For everything in between, the answer is, it depends. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, doobin said:

Of course you can call it (or possibly refer to it as) a company. A company is a well accepted colloquial term for a group of people under one banner who turn up and perform a task for a customer or client.

What you can't do is call it a limited company.

I'm not getting drawn into this again. For the sake of all of our sanity, let's agree to disagree. 

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, doobin said:

Your loss. You just spunked your 800th post on that! 😆

Amber Rose Is Starting To Look Flabby N Sick | Sports, Hip Hop & Piff ...

Thank you. That's just the wake up call I needed; I didn't realise there was a post counter. Assuming 20 minutes of browsing per post made, if I'd not joined this forum, and done something productive instead I'd have been about £160,000 better off. 

See ya 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4