Hum / vibration over winter... at wits end

thrope

We have a large chicken farm quite close to us, in fact not a million miles away from you in Ayrshire, at regular intervals, last week it was 0630 to about 0900 we get a quite a high pitch noise which does stop briefly during that time, think I have sussed out what it is.

Whenever the noise is on and I look over to the farm there is always what looks like a tanker there, I can only presume it is grain deliveries of chicken feed and the noise is air blowers used to blow the grain into the silos. They certainly sound similar to the air blowers that have helped give me tinnitus and partial deafness after 30 odd years in heavy industry, but we digress😀

• Like 1

It may be a ground or air source thermal heat pump or solar heated water pump....these things have a bit of a mind of their own. Or as others have said, Septic tank pumps etc.

I usually cup my ears with my hands to get a bearing on spurious sounds...take it one step further, a decent directional microphone...one with a dish behind it and plug it in to a laptop with a sound package on it and see if you can identify the wavelength and direction of the sound. 

• Like 1

Some more idle thoughts....

Do you get any power cuts there? If so does the noise still exist? This could narrow it down, if the noise stops its electric, if it continues it could still be electric but someone with a backup supply. If it's a bad winter you may get quite a few rolling power cuts to help you...

Is you water on the mains, if so I wonder if there's a pump on the supply somewhere that's could cause vibrations which is also affected the connectors. You can get devices to listen to the water pipes for leaks, might be worth trying one to see if you can hear anything?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GarethM said:

Are you describing some self service ladies knocking shop with some Uber deluxe Hitachi magic wand with a poster wall of Ryan Reynolds and Hugh Jackman posters for added stimulation?.

If it's a farm locally nothing would be that short lived, even if it was grain conditioning fans. Maybe something like a commercial freezer, try the neighbors electric idea 1st.

Failing that it could be water hammer, after about 10pm water usage goes down but it shouldn't transmit for km's.

Water hammer after 10pm!  I’ve heard it all now.

I did almost 15 years in the pump industry, i even said it shouldn't transmit very far. 

We have all suggested a long variety of possible causes of the noise, including a few quite outlandish ones including Mrs Miggins at no 32 enjoying self appreciation.