Stove installation advice please

Hi everyone.  New member and trying to get help.  Been emailing all my local stove installers for help and advice and quotes but they not replying, one did and said they wont be able to help till New Year. 

So my problem is I've ordered a tall stove, its a stove with built in oven.  It will arrive hopefully soon and I need to get it installed.  Its too tall for the flue pipe to go up the chimney so can anyone help advise on what is the best way to install it?  Ive attached a mockup photo....

Stove placement 1 is at the outside wall where flue pipe goes outside and up wall to roof. 
Stove placement 2 is in front off fireplace with a hole drilled into chimney breast where flue pipe goes or...
Stove placement 3 is to the right of the chimney and flue pipe is inserted into chimney through the side of the chimney breast?  

Any of these options viable?

Whats the best way?  Or is there a better option?

Jamie

stove choice.jpg

3 minutes ago, Mugatea said:

Hi everyone.  New member and trying to get help.  Been emailing all my local stove installers for help and advice and quotes but they not replying, one did and said they wont be able to help till New Year. 

So my problem is I've ordered a tall stove, its a stove with built in oven.  It will arrive hopefully soon and I need to get it installed.  Its too tall for the flue pipe to go up the chimney so can anyone help advise on what is the best way to install it?  Ive attached a mockup photo....

Stove placement 1 is at the outside wall where flue pipe goes outside and up wall to roof. 
Stove placement 2 is in front off fireplace with a hole drilled into chimney breast where flue pipe goes or...
Stove placement 3 is to the right of the chimney and flue pipe is inserted into chimney through the side of the chimney breast?  

Jamie

stove choice.jpg

Are you planning on doing the install yourself and then getting the local authority to sign it off?  Or do you not have confidence in your skills to do this?

If you are going to get a professional to do it then they will advise you I guess?

• Like 1

Just now, Squaredy said:

Are you planning on doing the install yourself and then getting the local authority to sign it off?  Or do you not have confidence in your skills to do this?

If you are going to get a professional to do it then they will advise you I guess?

Thanks, firstly I'm just curious how it can be done, if it's possible I may try it myself (with help) as I'll save a load of money, else if too much for me, I'd get an installer, but I doubt I can get it installed professionally till after the New Year.

Employ a builder to remove existing fireplace and get an installer to fit it legally in a modified position 2.

Plus position 2 will need a register plate to allow service and cleaning.

Installation isn't just about the flue, its also about fresh air and not dying due to a bad installation either through carbon monoxide or burning the house down and not being able to claim a penny.

I should also add, don't email installers. Speak to one and get them in to have a look.

Edited by GarethM
  • Like 2

Have you looked in the existing fireplace? Where is the lintel across the top? It sounds from your question that your first preference is to be in the fireplace itself and if the lintel is high enough it just needs opening up a bit more. if that is feasible then you will need to check the clearances around the stove to the chimney walls as well

Next I would go for option 3, flue goes up the chimney, you get some heat out of the chimney to. You'll have to measure this up carefully, I know a mock up photo can be off with scales but the angle of the flue will be at 45 degrees, given the stove height, a bit of streight flue, the angle and so on, where will it penetrate the chimney or ceiling to get the stove where you want... and this might mean you have to go for option 1, the outside wall to get a cheaper install. I reckon 45 degrees will take you to the base of the arch or a bit higher.

If you can get a builder in to do changes then a new lintel in the chimney and open up the fireplace a bit more might not be that much, and if you are thinking DIY install that will give you an easier flue install being a straighter run

Position wise option 2, central to the room then, knock out the chimney breast upwards and reinstate a fresh lintel higher up, then rest is just a standard install to your tastes/requirements. i.e liner down chimney for top or rear connection, which ever you want, then do your breast and inset to whats your intended design, job done.

Edited by Ratman
  • Like 3

On 05/10/2022 at 17:22, Mugatea said:

Jamie

stove choice.jpg

I would go for option 2… it’s certainly the most conventional, but personally I would remove all of the tiled fire surround, brick up the gaping hole that you expose, and install a suitably sized hearth for your stove to sit on.  

Personally, I would doubt you would have much luck getting an installer to get it done any time soon, as you have the usual ‘want to have it in before Christmas’ brigade to contend with (as you do every year) combined with the current increase in installs due to the increase in cost of living / heating, and the concerns surrounding power outages this winter.  

Maybe stove installers will step up their efforts and there will be availability early in 2023 if you are very lucky (or rich)… but maybe not, and you won’t get an installer till spring/summer 2023.

If you are capable of such things, you (or a general builder) should be able install it yourself perfectly legally yourself if you go down the ‘build control’ route follow Document J….

WWW.PLANNINGPORTAL.CO.UK

Details of Part J (Approved Document J) of the Building Regulations

However, even this will take time, as the building control process  goes at its own pace, and won’t be rushed.

Best of luck!

On 05/10/2022 at 17:22, Mugatea said:

Jamie

stove choice.jpg

What kw is it?

Look at the regs re whether your stove needs fresh air intake specifically connected to outside the house.

I'm going to guess, because it looks very much like my own house, that there is another room with a mirror image arched alcove, breast, full height alcove, through the wall to the right.  Also the chimney stack serving the 2 fireplaces is above that internal wall on the right.  the flue goes across at 20/30 degrees from vertical just above the arch, then straightens to vertical to the roof.  that sideways movement starts immediately above the original builders opening/lintel.  the lintel btw is most likely just a thinstrip of steel.  its a simple job to remove a couple of rows of bricks and reinstall the 'lintel' bringing the bottom of the gather into the visible opening, and allowing a snug register plate fit into the flue.....that's what i did.  however, your stove height worries me.....it may not fit between/beneath the gather.....which would make the alterations you'd need to the brickwork more significant.  MAY.  may because yours may be slightly different to my own...the arch looks a little taller so ...  anyway, I'd yank the gas fire or whatever is there and stick my head in the opening and have a bloody good look!  happy measuring.