Which forestry winch for compact tractor?

doobin

8 hours ago, doobin said:

Uniforest, Krapan and the one Riko do (Austrian?) are all around £2200, the Igland is £3300.

Igland a third more , might be a good reason for that, look at the double drum Iglands that where fitted to countys and worked day in day out, One i know of is still on a county 1164 ok not been worked for about 3 year now but if memory serves me well it was fitted to the tractor in 1979 and it will of done a bit of work in its time and can still pull,,

• Like 2

20 hours ago, spuddog0507 said:

Igland a third more , might be a good reason for that, look at the double drum Iglands that where fitted to countys and worked day in day out, One i know of is still on a county 1164 ok not been worked for about 3 year now but if memory serves me well it was fitted to the tractor in 1979 and it will of done a bit of work in its time and can still pull,,

Mine was fitted on the 1124 some when before 1978 when I bought it, used hard for around 40 years and still pulling on an outing today.

Mind it is a 40002 which is considerably better built than the 30002 on the Holder.

• Like 3

On 06/10/2022 at 19:34, openspaceman said:

Mine was fitted on the 1124 some when before 1978 when I bought it, used hard for around 40 years and still pulling on an outing today.

Mind it is a 40002 which is considerably better built than the 30002 on the Holder.

Not sure if Bally had a double drum Igland or Boughton on a 1164 a few year back, and it will of been worked hard with him, both good winches,,

15 minutes ago, spuddog0507 said:

Not sure if Bally had a double drum Igland or Boughton on a 1164 a few year back, and it will of been worked hard with him, both good winches,,

I thought a County was wasted with a Boughton. The 1NL was heavy and  you couldn't skid a big log as it was too low and out the back, you were limited with what you could add as front ballast lest you broke something and I know a tale about that.. The Farmi 6 tonne was better and safer but the bottom pulley soon got bashed about so we just skidded off the lop pulley. I still have a tatty 1164 with the Farmi (except a mate has borrowed the winch and not brought it back).

The original James Jones Highland Bear conversion had the 80002H winches and they were awesome but actually didn't do much better than the 40002 as they didn't have ground anchors.

I'm tempted to take the 40002 winch off the 1124 and put it on the 1164 because the brakes need doing on the 1124. I can manage them alright but young people may get into a pickle.

I don't know any mechanics that would do the brake job, Tom Osborn used to fit external disc brakes on his Shawney Poole dumper conversion.

Are you lot sure 3.5t is big enough??

Just picked this up from riko. Stephen was a gent to deal with, a huge amount of knowledge on alpine tractors too. Said I got a steal with my recent purchase. Did me a very good price on this winch and a free choker chain. 

F71E0C10-BD4F-4477-8320-C74416D7CEF7.jpeg

B35C59DB-FAFA-453D-8B44-E8079891F24D.jpeg

E191A9E5-929C-459F-99BC-8788C037FB65.jpeg

• Like 3

On 03/10/2022 at 16:57, Ferguson system said:

It costs a bit more than steel (sometimes twice as much), but I think it's worth it. Easier to work with, safer to work with, spools nicer on the drum. Quality synthetic rope will have about the same abrasion resistance as steel, or better. Compare the same Ø. dimension of steel and fibre and the fibre will usually have a higher breaking strength. Which means you can go with a smaller diameter rope. That combined with the fact that it spools nice on the drum, means you can get much more on it. The combined weight on the 3 point hitch will also be lower (doesn't matter much on a large tractor, but it does on a small one).

Do you mean something like this? 8mm for a 3.5t winch? Guessing I could reel 8mm poly rope on to measure how much Dyneema I could fit on the drum. I hate wire ropes

WWW.ROPELOCKER.CO.UK

Marlow Winch RopeWe use a 12 strand low stretch, high strength uHMPE winch rope and can design and make your...