Nordstream leak

Conor Wright

100% was USA for reasons given above. 

Russia is currently staying afloat financially by selling oil and gas to Europe and Asia. Why would they blow up a pipeline that's paying for their war effort?

The US wants to cripple the Russian economy, and one way of doing it would be scuppering their gas sales to the EU. They've hinted at it before, but now its done, naturally their gonna distance themselves from responsibility, as admitting it would be tantamount to a declaration of war on the RF

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Billhook said:

I may not have read very much about it, but why did not somebody turn the main valve off as soon as the explosion was reported, rather than letting a massive amount of gas out into the sea and atmosphere?

It will have been off at both ends, the system has to be kept full of gas at pressure to prevent air getting in.

It's the same here and that's why in the event of real trouble with gas supplies  they will shut big gas users and power stations.

As it is there is a glut of gas coming to Wales with several LNG ships desperate to unload. In the 7 months since the crisis began american and middle eastern countries have been liquefying gas and sending it to Europe, the problem is I think only Spain and Wales have facilities for turning back to gas and piping it, large amounts of gas are being piped across southern britain to europe.

In france the state owned EDF is frantically bringing nuclear power stations back online. Ours are coming to end of life and it is very debatable if it is worth pursuing the building of the three French and Chinese ones under construction as this will be over one way or another before they can possibly be commissioned and their electricity will be more expensive that renewables, especially wind and domestic solar PV.

Nearly all our storage is in the high pressure pipework.

26 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

Ours are coming to end of life and it is very debatable if it is worth pursuing the building of the three French and Chinese ones under construction as this will be over one way or another before they can possibly be commissioned and their electricity will be more expensive that renewables, especially wind and domestic solar PV.

Do you think in a decade or two we're going to be able to store a few weeks worth of wind/solar energy for all our needs? I'm still to be convinced we'll not need the new nuclear stations to live in a way we've become accustomed to.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Paul in the woods said:

Do you think in a decade or two we're going to be able to store a few weeks worth of wind/solar energy for all our needs? I'm still to be convinced we'll not need the new nuclear stations to live in a way we've become accustomed to.

Yes storage is the big issue  and just like insulate britain it has been ignored by governments to get us where we are now.

Wind produces more in the winter and today I think it is producing 1/3 of our electricity but I haven't checked if that lasted throughout the day, my panels again produced 100% of my electricity (very good for late October) and I still cannot understand why more support was not given to battery solar systems to act as peak lopping storage. Pumped storage has just about used up all the niches available in Britain and that is only storing for daily peaks and I don't know how much of our daily peak demand  would have to be stored. In the short term (5-10 years) just being able to switch off gas generation a while will help but to get us out of fossil fuels is all dreaming at the moment.

There is a compressed gas and a liquefied air storage plant somewhere here but to my mind they are best used in conjunction with a gas turbine to get the best out of the storage.

My needs are modest, I only need 450kWh in the 5 winter months and could produce it in the summer but where on earth could I keep about 450m^3 of compressed air at 1000PSI.

Of course we are still a long way off from utilising all the wind energy we produce now with the grid curtailing production because  the national grid has not kept up.

My guess is it will need to be as chemical energy imported from a country with a massive solar farm in just the same way we import fossil fuels now.

Also fossil fuels have been too cheap and we are going to have to use less, remember it is less than 100 years since most of Britain got electric light.

Anyway my comment about nuclear energy was mostly about how the money would be better spent on domestic renewable electricity rather than a rant about it. My rant is about foreign companies who will own and operate it.