What to replace burnt and stolen chippers with...?

benedmonds

I posted our recent theft/fire on the facebook site, but would rather discuss things here..

Canopy Tree Services, were robbed yesterday morning.
They got away with our Timberwolf T230 chipper and JoBeau B37 Stump grinder and plant trailer. They caused the usual damage cutting through gates etc to get in and also managed to set a fire completely destroying the contents of a  shipping container, writing off another of our wood chippers (the BC1000xl) and damaging one of our trucks. 

Anyway, luckily we still  have  3 chippers a Vermeer 230 xl, GM130 and GM tracked 1928. We are currently only running 2 or 3 teams so we can keep operating fine if a little slower without the big chipper and the tracked machine is less convenient.

Things have changed a fair bit since our chipper original chipper choices. We have always liked the bigger machines but had to have a couple of smaller machines because of drivers.  Now with the 750Kg limit scrapped and the better performance of more modern chippers I am considering getting 2 mid size replacements.

rather than one big and one small.

What do you think, and should I be considering other manufactures. Are Forst now reliable? They had a terrible reputation a few years ago.  Any others brands I should consider?

cunts.jpg

Wankers!

I saw the post on Facebook.  Sorry to hear.  People knock Forst but I use one at other company I regularly climb for and I own a diesel St8 myself.  Not had a problem with either.  Apart from a couple of small issues that I have experienced with other manufacturers.

Good luck.

I work for a firm near you and they’re about to replace their Först ST6 with another one, principally on the strength of dealer support. They had an engine or computer problem with the current one and it was sorted under warranty pretty quickly. They’re obviously happy enough with performance. Maybe Först are turning a corner.

The new Greenmech Evos are supposed to be brilliant (but I’ve no personal experience). 
I had a demo of the UFKES Greetec Cheetah (30/80 I think) which is a great tool if you want maximum capacity from something towable under 3.5 tonnes. It’s a nice small-site clearance machine, works very well as a digger fed machine but is still properly set up for hand feeding. Really really expensive though…….

• Like 1

Footage of the fire..  It is low enough that people think they can break stuff and take other peoples property, but the thought that they would leave a fire that potentially causes MASSSIVE damage and even risks loss of life.  The other side of the fire is a rubber menage, there are 50 odd caravans, some industrial units that all easily could have gone up.  Luckily we had had some rain, it wasn't windy and the barn had a lot less hay then it often does. To leave that fire and not alert the fire services sickens me..  It shows a lack of any empathy..

• Sad 2