Time to replace Stihl 038.

Peter 1955

Was checking my belief the 391 is a clamshell engine design (it is), came across this:

https://fireandsaw.com/stihl-ms391-chainsaw/ doesnt sound too positive...

The 251 is clamshell design too. 

Clamshells are seen as a lower spec and less durable compared to the pro spec saws (like the 038). Expect a shorter lifespan. The ElastoStart feature is a feature to avoid IMO.

Is the 038 completely knackered ? 

• Like 2

I've bought a 400 recently, it's a big leap in performance without being a much bigger saw - also a big leap in price.

I haven't used a 391 but have used a 291 to compare to a 261. It's similar but feels dull as less dynamic, and the vibes are noticeably higher. Depends if you are just doing a bit of firewood here and there, then save your money and get a 391. I'd probably say a 362 is worth the extra to you as nicer to use, then I'm less sure it's worth spending the extra on 400 or 462.

Edited by Dan Maynard
  • Like 1

Thanks again chaps. The 038 is still going strong, but it could be over 40 years old! How much longer can it keep going? I don't want it to explode when I don't have a replacement already in my possession. I must say that the strongest vote for the 391 is price. It's looking more and more as if it's between 361/362 or 400. Looking at list prices, and using the 400 as the benchmark,  a 362 is £200 cheaper than a 400, and a 462 is only £100 dearer. On those figures, you can make a good case for any of them. Well at least I've narrowed it down, I think. 

11 minutes ago, Peter 1955 said:

Thanks again chaps. The 038 is still going strong, but it could be over 40 years old! How much longer can it keep going? I don't want it to explode when I don't have a replacement already in my possession. I must say that the strongest vote for the 391 is price. It's looking more and more as if it's between 361/362 or 400. Looking at list prices, and using the 400 as the benchmark,  a 362 is £200 cheaper than a 400, and a 462 is only £100 dearer. On those figures, you can make a good case for any of them. Well at least I've narrowed it down, I think. 

I have an old 034 and its a great saw. I also have an old 084 with needed a Pot and Piston replacement. The OEM Pot and Piston I had to source from the US but the actual cost at the local Stihl Dealer for the replacement and a service was under £80. The 084 runs like new again. Id not write off the 038 if it dies, even genuine Stihl parts are out there for it and its a great saw. If you're not needing a bigger saw then Id run it til it dies and get it repaired if its economical. 

• Like 3

Keep the 038 going. We get plenty coming through the shop and generally need a dam sight less work than the more modern stuff. They usually come in for a quick check over and sharpen, or a running issue. The latter tends to be stale fuel that's been sat for 6 months. All in all great saws. Save some money and look after it is my advice 👍

• Like 6

I'd echo the comments above. Easy to keep old saws running compared to modern saws when they get to 10 yr old.

No reason for the 038 to go pop, give it a birthday overhaul now (fuel lines, filters, carb overhaul, degradable parts etc), check the tune regularly and look after the fuel you feed it. Job's a good 'un.

361 souldnt be dismissed if youve just gotta have a new one (fewer gizmos compared to later saws), see earlier post for sourcing one.

• Like 2

I like old saws too, including a Stihl 028.  I've tried the new automatic tuning ones and just don't like them.

Yes things break, but generally they are much easier to work on than new saws. If you have more than one saw it never slows you down. Old saws >=50cc are worth keeping going, it takes a LOT of use before loss of compression becomes an issue.

• Like 1

I have a couple of older Stihl, 036 and 044 but they don't get a lot of running. When they do they are well up to the job and I did look at 038 before I picked up the 036 which was only chosen because it was a good price. It runs an 18" bar and really is a good saw. I would say keep your 038 running as long as you can probably as back up to something more modern.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Macpherson said:

+1 for keeping the older saws running, I have several Stihl's of a similar age to yours and I find them reliable and can usually find parts quite easily, cheers.

Seems to be a lot of support for keeping the old saws going. The old girl never missed a beat this afternoon. I keep looking at the 023 in the shed, and wondering if it could be mended. Only issue with it is it's leaking probably from the crank seal, and onto the clutch. Runs like a dream, just won't turn the chain! 

2 hours ago, peatff said:

I have a couple of older Stihl, 036 and 044 but they don't get a lot of running. When they do they are well up to the job and I did look at 038 before I picked up the 036 which was only chosen because it was a good price. It runs an 18" bar and really is a good saw. I would say keep your 038 running as long as you can probably as back up to something more modern.

And that is probably my cunning plan. As I said, I don't want it to cease to function and leave me with only the 251. I want to make sure that this time I really get an upgrade, and the 391 doesn't look like one. I have a really good dealer fairly locally, and my son works for a training company on my doorstep, so I know where to get the next saw, I just need to decide what. Thanks for all the advice fellas, much appreciated. I'm a little surprised how much support there is for the old kit, much like Trigger's broom. 😉