Energy Bills

roboted

Energy Bills  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Come October what will your Energy ( Gas, Oil & Electric ) payments, ignoring government subsidies, be as a % of your net income

• 0-5%
    • 6-10%
    • 11-15%
    • 16-20%
    • 21% and above.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 30/09/22 at 08:08

A 2250 litre fill of oil lasts us more** than a year, say £2000.00 per annum

Our last quarterly electric bill was £200.00, so say £1,000.00 per annum.

So 3k a year.

plus endless "free" firewood.

**I just checked, after a fill which brimmed the 500 gall tank last Sept, we still got 275 gall left.

Not running any upstairs radiators since the daughter moved out obviously made a significant difference.

Btw the negligible oil burned to heat the domestic hot water over the summer makes the capital costs of installing solar panels hard to recover imho.

Edited by difflock

17 minutes ago, Retired Climber said:

I have no idea what our energy bills are. They go out by direct debit, and I can't remember the last time I looked. Can't possibly be more than 5 % of income though. 

We have 2 adults and 2 kids in a small / average sized house. 

Would definitely check, in 2 years mine have gone from £120 a month to £330, and likely over £400 once the cap increases

These companies will just increase your direct debit with one email of warning that probably will end up in spam anyway 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, AWarb00 said:

Would definitely check, in 2 years mine have gone from £120 a month to £330, and likely over £400 once the cap increases

These companies will just increase your direct debit with one email of warning that probably will end up in spam anyway 

British gas set up a direct debit without our approval and started deducting £200 a month for our electricity! We were one of the ones that were automatically moved to them after our previous supplier went bankrupt.

We are in a good position with our gas at the moment as our whole estate is on Calor gas. This is typically more expensive than main gas, but there is some sort of contract running for the estate currently that caps the price. Im not sure how much longer thats going to last though.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, AWarb00 said:

Just checked, ours is currently £370 per month. Haven't had any notification of what it might go up to. It's always comfortably going to be under 5 % though. 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Retired Climber said:

Just checked, ours is currently £370 per month. Haven't had any notification of what it might go up to. It's always comfortably going to be under 5 % though. 

Still seems a hell of a lot for a medium house with 2 adults / 2 kids

And let's face it, there's people that simply won't be able to afford increases like that 

15 minutes ago, AWarb00 said:

Still seems a hell of a lot for a medium house with 2 adults / 2 kids

And let's face it, there's people that simply won't be able to afford increases like that 

It's not a big house, but we are quite power hungry. The house was built in the 1800's, and still has original windows throughout. There are 3 freezers and 2 fridges running 24 / 7, and my office and workshop are heated to comfortable temperatures all through the winter. We've been running aircon most days for the last few months too. I'm quite happy with what we pay to be honest. I think being so free and easy with energy should be priced as a luxury. 

I do agree though, on a limited budget it would be getting a bit scary at the moment. 

• Like 1

£370 a month !! Jeepers that's a lot. I'm £90 per month combined atm and moving up to £193 after Oct 1st (or so they think, and they are wrong). That's in a 3 bed bungalow on the coast; 2 adults. If i was already paying £370 i'd be freaking out, never mind what the potential increases might amount to.

To incorrectly quote dads army: "We're all doomed ... doomed i tells ya" 😂