Chipper Chat!

Ell

14 minutes ago, Ell said:

Which, imho, is a daft thing to do cause its better to be aware that you can chip dead but extra precautions need to be taken rather than not to chip at all. These guys were worried the couldn't chip some dead birch without it shagging up their machine.

Exactly, dead birch is soft mush usually.

1 hour ago, Dan Maynard said:

Half rotten lime from deadwooding, chip fine except as said can shatter.

Tends to jam the single roller on the Dosko which can make chipping tedious. It's the same with any wood than has a punky exterior but have not experience the problem with more modern chippers.

• Like 1

It's easier to chip fresh definitely, I've seen big biomass chippers struggle with older ash but they'll still chip it and are designed to so I wouldn't worry.

All I would add is that most chippers maximum diameter is for softwood. For hardwood you only want to go up to 80% of the size.

1 hour ago, Ell said:

Cheers for the responses. I definitely think the guy was coming from a H&S perspective rather than what the machine can actually do. Which, imho, is a daft thing to do cause its better to be aware that you can chip dead but extra precautions need to be taken rather than not to chip at all. These guys were worried the couldn't chip some dead birch without it shagging up their machine.

You will find that all training courses and assessments today carry a lot of H&S which is not a bad thing in todays world as they dont make common sence any more, When the younger lads say to me, i dont know how to do that, i just say you do as you did it on your training course and you did it in your assessment,, i think most of it is done/said and covered in the assessment so as if any thing was to happen at a later date and that said pearson was issued a certificate, they cant really go back to there employer and say i was not shown that ??   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

Let’s not forget 90% of those in Arb are paid from the neck down so it’s worth listening to what you’re being told and consult the manufacturer for a definite response. 🙄

I hope you find that attention you’re looking for.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

In my experience, candidates quite often don’t really pay attention to what they are being told, they also nod their heads that they understand when they don’t. 
The machine is perfectly capable of dealing with dead wood, there are a few H&S issues such as dust and debris flying back out of the hopper. 
As these where National Trust, the instructor might have been hinting at dead wood as habitat, so not to be chipped, rather than can’t?

• Like 1