Trees overhanging from a CA

Ledburyjosh

Notify the local authority of your intention to carry out the pruning works , wait the specified 6 weeks , if you hear nothing crack on . If they have a specific TPO they will inform you other than that you might not hear anything .  

It's an interesting - if probably reasonably rare - question.

I can't say I've ever seen sufficient detail in any legislation which would dive down to that level of detail - it wouldn't be unreasonable to assume the offending branches cannot exist without the tree [which is within the CA] so where the branches are 'of' the tree, and the tree is afforded CA protective status, then so would the branches.

As Stubby says, unlikely to be so urgent a need for pruning as to make a s211 notice an unreasonable ask.

Notice will either be unopposed or a TPO will be initiated [by no means a frivolous undertaking by an LA.]  Of course if the offending branches were causing an actionable nuisance, they could be removed without recourse to LA in any case.  If they are not, no harm submitting a s211.

• Like 2

A CA is a conservation area not a tpo area my local council placed my house at the boundary of a conservation area I’m inside, they then decided to prune my ash tree which overhangs the next door sheltered housing, not inside the conservation area, I brought up the fact they had not asked for permission to carry out the works, came home to find two men inside my garden with a ladder up the tree 

the tree officer said the conservation area finished at my boundary as no tpo therefore they could cut to the boundary

1 hour ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

It's an interesting - if probably reasonably rare - question.

I can't say I've ever seen sufficient detail in any legislation which would dive down to that level of detail - it wouldn't be unreasonable to assume the offending branches cannot exist without the tree [which is within the CA] so where the branches are 'of' the tree, and the tree is afforded CA protective status, then so would the branches.

As Stubby says, unlikely to be so urgent a need for pruning as to make a s211 notice an unreasonable ask.

Notice will either be unopposed or a TPO will be initiated [by no means a frivolous undertaking by an LA.]  Of course if the offending branches were causing an actionable nuisance, they could be removed without recourse to LA in any case.  If they are not, no harm submitting a s211.

It is an odd scenario. But I have been asked about it. Its not unreasonable to go with the standard CA notification to be sure. I was curious though if any one knew of any cases that would suggest anything else

1 hour ago, dumper said:

A CA is a conservation area not a tpo area my local council placed my house at the boundary of a conservation area I’m inside, they then decided to prune my ash tree which overhangs the next door sheltered housing, not inside the conservation area, I brought up the fact they had not asked for permission to carry out the works, came home to find two men inside my garden with a ladder up the tree 

the tree officer said the conservation area finished at my boundary as no tpo therefore they could cut to the boundary

Interesting. I wander if he based that on his own judgment or knew if that is the legal standpoint? 

2 hours ago, dumper said:

No requirement for consent to have work done to tree(s) within a CA by, or on behalf of, the LA.

The example given may not apply to the OPs post unless it is the LA, or an agent of the LA doing the work...

• Like 1