Refilling fuel cans

GLynch

Must admit i wouldnae worry the difference will be tiny anyway 100ml either way over 5 L wont make much difference.

Will depend how accurae u measure ur 100ml of 2 stroke, and extra/or less 10ml would make more difference, thats similar to 500ml of petrol.

Must admit i always put 2 stroke in jerry cans and combi cans 1st, 

1 as i think it will mix better with the feul going in on top, but i still shake the jerry can before pouring into a combi to male sure no settlement.

I tend to work with 1 of those measuring 1l bottles and fill that from a gallon can of 2 stroke and carry that in the tub beside my combi cans so always have a litre of 2 stroke with me.

Usually mix 25-35 litres at a time depending how many combis are empty

Those bottles are easy to work with ur head torch and no messing with lose measuring things

But the main reason i put 2 stroke in 1st is to make sure i never have pure petrol in either my combi or jerry can, just a recipe for disaster.

Only takes 1 blether at garage or running late at wood some morning and u forget to add 2 stroke and u have a disaster on the cards.

Happened to a mate 1 day i was with him owner came out as he was filling cans and completely forgot to add the 2 stroke, just caught him at a bad time, nipped saw.

I know i pick up anything for 2 stroke it has 2 stroke mixed correctly

• Like 1

7 hours ago, drinksloe said:

Must admit i wouldnae worry the difference will be tiny anyway 100ml either way over 5 L wont make much difference.

Will depend how accurae u measure ur 100ml of 2 stroke, and extra/or less 10ml would make more difference, thats similar to 500ml of petrol.

Must admit i always put 2 stroke in jerry cans and combi cans 1st, 

1 as i think it will mix better with the feul going in on top, but i still shake the jerry can before pouring into a combi to male sure no settlement.

I tend to work with 1 of those measuring 1l bottles and fill that from a gallon can of 2 stroke and carry that in the tub beside my combi cans so always have a litre of 2 stroke with me.

Usually mix 25-35 litres at a time depending how many combis are empty

Those bottles are easy to work with ur head torch and no messing with lose measuring things

But the main reason i put 2 stroke in 1st is to make sure i never have pure petrol in either my combi or jerry can, just a recipe for disaster.

Only takes 1 blether at garage or running late at wood some morning and u forget to add 2 stroke and u have a disaster on the cards.

Happened to a mate 1 day i was with him owner came out as he was filling cans and completely forgot to add the 2 stroke, just caught him at a bad time, nipped saw.

I know i pick up anything for 2 stroke it has 2 stroke mixed correctly

This all day long .

Alkylate for everything apart from the strimmer (because it uses so blooming much!).  I put 4l of fuel measured from the pump into a reused Alkylate can and add the 2stroke oil immediately. I do three at a time. That way I know my petrol cans are for straight petrol only.    There remains enough space in the Alkylate bottle to shake vigorously.

1 hour ago, trigger_andy said:

You would do if you could put a lid on the glass. It would literally make no difference, you're gonna shake the can anyway.

I take your point Andy. I just think that if you add a larger volume to a more viscous smaller volume,  it seems to mix easier. not going to fall out with anyone over how they mix fuel, or drinks.

Edited by Con
  • Like 2