Anyone still climbing with knots these days?

Steve Bullman

4 hours ago, parkertrees said:

Cant say i could imagine reverting back to a Prussik or Blakes these days. Went to ZZ, then onto SJ3. SJ takes some getting used to, but after 4 years I'd not consider anything else... makes you Quick as

I would totally disagree with that mate.

A Spiderjack won’t make you quicker, that’s just sales bull.

They are a brilliant device, watch Joe Harris in the ‘Spiderjackery’ vid on youtube. Stupidly quick.

Joe admits he’s as quick on a VT.

Not knocking them, just too many young lads thinking they’ll be the bollocks if they get one and realising they’re still average.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Mark Bolam said:

They are a brilliant device, watch Joe Harris in the ‘Spiderjackery’ vid on youtube. Stupidly quick.

Not knocking them, just too many young lads thinking they’ll be the bollocks if they get one and realising they’re still average.

That's a bit ageist. I can be just a crap with a load of shiny kit as with a length of old rope and a couple of prussick loops. 

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, Mark Bolam said:

No marketing bull, I find the SJ saves time up a tree. It self tends so well that you can adjust position quickly before a cut using just one hand. 

Lots of little time and effort saving benefits add up over the course of a job.

I completely agree that a spider jack wont make you the bollocks of a climber, but if you're already the bollocks, I think it only compliments your abilities.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dan Maynard said:

Exactly why I like my VT. I also reckon I've got faster at doing the job in the last 5 years by moving less not by moving faster.

Agree with you on that. maximising efficiency up a tree is better than being quick around it. 

I wasn't referring to literal speed, rather speed of job completion to a good standard.