No Country for Bold Men

scotspine1

The article was clearly written by a feminist looking to find a tenuous link between skill shortages in forestry (tree planting) and the male dominated forestry/arb sector. Any male dominated industry is always going to be a target for these leftist ‘progressive’ journos and other ‘social justice’ campaigners. 

The main issue is that young folk today want to be YouTubers, professional gamers and Instagram influencers not stuck halfway up a mountain in Wales in December planting trees in a blizzard. No one wants to do that, let alone ‘young people’.

As soon as you see the ‘macho lumberjacks need not apply’ phrase in the twitter headline you know the article was a Trojan horse to attack men. 

These journalists like the woman from The Guardian that wrote that article know nothing about our industry. Nothing, because they’ve never been involved. Most of them have never done a days proper work in their lives. 

• Like 6

Guest Gimlet
15 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Surely the macho stuff is what attracts people to the job?

I wish it had attracted me. When I was young I wanted to do things with my hands because I was good at that, which led me into metal working and then the building trade. It was only later when I started making money on the side through hedgelaying which I'd learned when I was young (but then it was the tools and the making of the tools, how to sharpen them etc that most interested me) that I discovered working with trees and I've wished ever since that I'd got into that when I was young. Working with physical skill with something that's living is has been far more rewarding to me than crafting an inanimate object from an inanimate object.

I wish I'd done this sooner I'd have been happier and financially better off. Now I'm scraping a living round the periphery of the industry and at 55 it's probably too late for any further involvement.   

Edited by Gimlet

3 hours ago, Gimlet said:

wish I'd done this sooner I'd have been happier and financially better off. Now I'm scraping a living round the periphery of the industry and at 55 it's probably too late for any further involvement.   

if you’re still physically fit there’s loads you can do. You can concentrate on smaller medium sized arb jobs for private/domestic clients. Still plenty of options out there. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scotspine1 said:

if you’re still physically fit there’s loads you can do. You can concentrate on smaller medium sized arb jobs for private/domestic clients. Still plenty of options out there. 

And buy machinery!