Ranger T6 corrosion issues.

Johnsond

Guest Gimlet

They're all as bad as each other now. Manufacturers will do anything to save weight to off-set all the crap they have to fit to vehicle now (like 20 L adblue tanks) and achieve half decent fuel efficiency figures. Steel is thinner, they're skimping in paint, replacing metal with plastic etc. And yes, they're throwaway. The self-employed and business owners are just milk cows. Saws are chuckaway, trucks are chuckaway. Make them buy new ones every five years. They can afford it. No wonder inflation and the cost of living is rising.

I have a Mitsi L200 and when I got it 3 years old it was in very good condition underneath , still faint black paint , so I got 5 cans of motorcycle chain lube and thoroughly undersealed it myself , in all the holes , nuts bolts etc and it is still in excellent condition , more important than polishing paintwork in my opinion , but shiny paintwork is what buyers see and judge a vehicle by ...mostly ..looking after a truck and keeping it long term makes good sense to me , but I do not do a lot of miles and light use only ...

I've got a 21 plate ranger and all I can say is I'm very glad it's only leased!!  

It'll either be a discovery 4, 2.4 h/d utility 110 or a 316sprinter when the ranger goes back. Better the devil you know I reckon now...

Unless one of the manufacturers brings out something that's really different to the current crop of pick ups of course, but I can't see that happening!

My 61 plate ranger was immaculate underneath when I got it at the end of last year, as was everything in the engine bay - but that’s what happens when you buy an ex fire service motor with 21k on the clock, has been kept inside and maintained to the max.

But yes, the first thing I did was get it undersealed before it left the dealership

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Johnsond said:

Into Ford today. Not allowed to take pics myself but sent a random selection. Absolute dog order underneath. 

FF0A4989-0654-4B94-8AC9-6F1AE2F43789.png

98678969-4E27-4778-BF1A-FE5FF03CAF9E.png

C201BD92-7110-4332-851A-EF3AE5308E46.png

C148A5B9-AA0C-4B80-8CC4-77B5DFF164EA.png

Why are you not allowed to take pictures?

It's worth mentioning, Ford will get out of any warranty claim by stating that you haven't washed underneath often enough!

15 minutes ago, dig-dug-dan said:

Why are you not allowed to take pictures?

It's worth mentioning, Ford will get out of any warranty claim by stating that you haven't washed underneath often enough!

Health and safety ie I’m not an employee so not allowed on the workshop floor. What I’m realising is that it’s a very well known issue that they are trying to keep a lid on. There are dedicated centres now assigned to the task of stripping the effected vehicles back to the bare chassis and apparently two options available  for treating. I’m awaiting details on what it entails but I was asked today did I require a 4wd tow bar equipped replacement if it ends up being carted away. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Gav73 said:

My 61 plate ranger was immaculate underneath when I got it at the end of last year, as was everything in the engine bay - but that’s what happens when you buy an ex fire service motor with 21k on the clock, has been kept inside and maintained to the max.

But yes, the first thing I did was get it undersealed before it left the dealership

61 plate ?? What model is that.
Shouldn’t matter where it comes from you’d think, reality is it should not be happening. Seems in this case  Ford agrees with this as there’s a dedicated section of customer services dealing with this and centres set up to sort the effected vehicles. But yes the undersealing is definitely worth the effort and cost. 

Option 1 of the repair process, pretty sure mines past this point. Option 2 is remove and shot blast the whole chassis etc 

Shame the military as they call it coating isn’t applied in the first place. 

Edited by Johnsond
  • Like 1