Zombosis

Chain Sharpening Service  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Would you pay someone else to sharpen your chains?

• Yes, if the price was right I'd love someone else to do it
    • Once in a blue moon maybe but I tend to look after my own as needed
    • NO chance! I don't trust anyone to do it properly

Hello all, I'd like some advice please?

I am considering offering a chain sharpening service in my local area, as part of a wider range of sharpening services to provide some sideline income.

My plan was to buy the 'top of the range' Oregon 620-230 sharpening grinder which seems to cover all chain sizes, and has the addition of a hydraulic lock to remove the need to manually clamp the chain before each grind.

My fears are that I'd be throwing £300 away on a machine that would barely see much action (other than the few chains I'd sharpen for home use).

Am I right in thinking that you professional arborists all either sharpen your own chains by hand in the field, or own such a machine yourselves and will sharpen all your chains on a Sunday morning?

A person advertising online was charging £7.50 per chain, which I thought seemed a bit steep, but I'd like to hear the members' opinions. 

If I didn't have a market within the arborist community, I don't think the few domestic users that have a saw for firewood/pruning etc would provide enough income to pay for the machine in any reasonable timescale, so it might be a dead duck of an idea.

I was a member years ago so I know the good natured banter here and I'm awaiting some 'good ol' fashioned p-taking' and the like :)

What do you people think?

Also, if you have views on such machines vs hand sharpening I'd be willing to hear those too. I'm a bit worried that the hydraulic feature is jest another thing to go wrong, like floor jack, hydraulic presses etc, which invariably leak and lose pressure as the seals degrade.

Over to the floor.....

Oregon-620-230A_hydraulic.jpg

Hello all, I'd like some advice please?

I am considering offering a chain sharpening service in my local area, as part of a wider range of sharpening services to provide some sideline income.

My plan was to buy the 'top of the range' Oregon 620-230 sharpening grinder which seems to cover all chain sizes, and has the addition of a hydraulic lock to remove the need to manually clamp the chain before each grind.

My fears are that I'd be throwing £300 away on a machine that would barely see much action (other than the few chains I'd sharpen for home use).

Am I right in thinking that you professional arborists all either sharpen your own chains by hand in the field, or own such a machine yourselves and will sharpen all your chains on a Sunday morning?

A person advertising online was charging £7.50 per chain, which I thought seemed a bit steep, but I'd like to hear the members' opinions. 

If I didn't have a market within the arborist community, I don't think the few domestic users that have a saw for firewood/pruning etc would provide enough income to pay for the machine in any reasonable timescale, so it might be a dead duck of an idea.

I was a member years ago so I know the good natured banter here and I'm awaiting some 'good ol' fashioned p-taking' and the like [emoji4]

What do you people think?

Also, if you have views on such machines vs hand sharpening I'd be willing to hear those too. I'm a bit worried that the hydraulic feature is jest another thing to go wrong, like floor jack, hydraulic presses etc, which invariably leak and lose pressure as the seals degrade.

Over to the floor.....
Oregon-620-230A_hydraulic.jpg.0a006a58a24b6579017b2fefb924594c.jpg

I have that model. It’s a great machine for home use. Not sure I’d be wanting to use it for a business venture. I’d have thought anyone offering chain sharpening services would have an automatic machine.
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

I have that model. It’s a great machine for home use. Not sure I’d be wanting to use it for a business venture. I’d have thought anyone offering chain sharpening services would have an automatic machine.

Thanks for the feedback, cheapest automated machine I found is £912.00. If the venture flopped it'd be an expensive door stop! 😞

I see the Portek Ultra Mk4 has the same features as the 620-230 Oregon, but it's 2/3 of the price, so might be worth a punt if this isn't going to be a big earner (judging by the poll so far). I appreciate all your honest feedback.

I think you'll find that most arborists will hand sharpen their own saws. Bench grinders can be useful on bigger, knackered chains, you have to be careful though as you can temper the cutter with the grinding stone which means you can no longer hand sharpen with files. 

You could look into landscapers as a source of custom but there's a very real chance that you'll end up with some mullered chains to work with, if you get any at all.  Saying that, it may end up being a worthwhile investment if supply-chain issues continue, most arbs I know have fair few knackered chain loops and might end up revisiting them.

What else do you sharpen? If you can do chipper blades you might be able to pitch the chain sharpening to those clients.

Good luck whatever you decide to do. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the feedback, cheapest automated machine I found is £912.00. If the venture flopped it'd be an expensive door stop! [emoji20]

I see the Portek Ultra Mk4 has the same features as the 620-230 Oregon, but it's 2/3 of the price, so might be worth a punt if this isn't going to be a big earner (judging by the poll so far). I appreciate all your honest feedback.
I've got the portek. Good machine.
  • Like 2

Local agricultural dealers charge £5 a chain if its off the saw, £7.50 if you turn up with it still on the saw and do them whilst you wait. Mostly farmers chains who only take them in when there going for something else. Garden machinery centre up the road charge £8 up to 18 inches and you get then back when they are done, they will not do a one off whilst you wait, they wait till they have a few and do them all at once, sometimes takes a week to get them back. I believe this is a ploy to sell more chains.

• Like 1

Worth a look

WWW.LOGOSOL.CO.UK

<h3>The easy way to a perfect result</h3> <p>It is easy to keep the cutting tools in good condition. LOGOSOL has the...

Set it up and sharpen something else, double your earnings for the same time period 

• Like 1

If ur going to do it the market may exist for harvester chains and many timber harvesting companies do send there chains away to be sharpened a box load at a time (30-50 chains).

But there all using automatic chain sharpeners

But already a few boys at it and a few have a good rep and are pretty busy, it might depend where ur based if any big harvesting companies local to u

Also firewood processors might use chain for cutting logs

Ur problem with arb or even forestry cutters is u would need a load of spare chains so if u blunt 1 u take it off and swap it, in most cases ur almost as quick just sharpening it on the saw as and when.

Plus those grinders don't take the rakers down.

I mind 20 odd years ago a saw place on the south coast was wanting 8 quid for sharpening chains which at that time weren't a lot more

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1