Dartmoor Dragon charcoal retort goes into production

Woodworks

Hi all.

As many of you know through previous threads I have been working on a small charcoal retort and it's taken some years to come to fruition!

Well today is a bit of a landmark for me as I received my first pay cheque from sales. I am not making them but working with the Exeter Charcoal Company who sell the Exeter retorts as well. We sold 5 this month and expect at least another 5 over the next couple of months. I only started all this as a bit of fun but as early prototypes worked so well realised there might be some milage in the idea.

It didn't get to where it is today without help from others. I would like to thank agg221 who gave fantastic advice on metallurgy also openspacman and SteveA who sadly seems to have vanished from this parish. There are others who I cant remember who have sparked an idea so thanks to them as well. I genuinely hope it will get more small woodland workers making charcoal and earning money as retort use is very simple in comparison with the dark art of running a ring kiln. Also they utilise the wood much better with high conversion rates

This was my first crazy effort from 7 years ago (cant believe it was that long ago).  It made charcoal but its safe to say I didn't have much control over the temps 😂IMG_0274.jpg.1f2dd3a5a58dab40ff4d3958db8ca3e9.jpg

Then decided on something a bit smaller that didn't need a tractor to unload it. It's fully enclosed so temps could be controlled. I am still using this one today with a few mods 5 years laterIMG_20180422_195035.thumb.jpg.17e112605fd8f27bee62ffc73b228321.jpg

And this is the low tech way of changing the charge chambers but we will have a trolly design that enables one person to load and unload the retortsIMG_20190225_173119.thumb.jpg.75e0b2cc8ccb15a1098e98264ace72c2.jpg

And now the first professionally built one from the Exeter Charcoal Company. It has an automatic thermostatic control and Robin and Geoff have made it more robust through good design which wasn't limited by my lack of metal working skills 0-2.thumb.jpg.544217e2cadfbbe6f4d62e9c66d63c99.jpg

0.thumb.jpg.e70254e076e0af2ca0fac04f793153da.jpg

Edited by Woodworks
  • Like 19

• 5 months later...
44 minutes ago, Coed Glas said:

An old topic i know but i have just come across these retorts and they look fantastic, is it possible to buy them directly from exeter charcoal? if so what is the cost? i couldn't find much info on there website.

Yes you can buy straight from them. Think they have two in stock. £3900+Vat