The Green Agenda

Billhook

Russian gas? Noted that the US were quite quick off the mark offering to tanker it to us instead.

Green is very subjective... take fire wood, burn it and we are giving off CO2, let it rot and it gives off methane - which is worse for the ozone layer and global warming, however burn it and we send out fine particles into the air, yet in a power station these particles are miles from houses, but still there I think (but fewer of them due to the tall chimneys).

Why should the west bother with it all when the Chinese are (reportedly) doing nothing (yet they are involved with the new nuclear power station), but if we don't show leadership, no matter how effective our actions, then how will the world follow, but we get priced out the market with our expensive production costs... so we buy cheap from China.. and support their coal plants...

All depends how you want to look at something. tricky isn't it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sime42 said:
1 hour ago, Richard 1234 said:
Yes it is I do however wonder why the ships can’t have sails to use the wind to help use less fuel.
probably to do with the dock cranes as much as anything else?

I believe plans are afoot to mount sails on some cargo ships to help reduce fuel consumption. I saw an article about it somewhere.

I read about that some years ago. They were trialing sails on oil tankers. The sails were essentially huge parachutes deployed when the wind was favorable, no masts or anything or ability to sail against the wind. They were retractable when not in use.

I'm guessing there were issues with the mechanics and possible safety of the system. The crews of these massive boats are quite small, and not really sailors in the traditional sense.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Steven P said:

Russian gas? Noted that the US were quite quick off the mark offering to tanker it to us instead.

Green is very subjective... take fire wood, burn it and we are giving off CO2, let it rot and it gives off methane - which is worse for the ozone layer and global warming, however burn it and we send out fine particles into the air, yet in a power station these particles are miles from houses, but still there I think (but fewer of them due to the tall chimneys).

Why should the west bother with it all when the Chinese are (reportedly) doing nothing (yet they are involved with the new nuclear power station), but if we don't show leadership, no matter how effective our actions, then how will the world follow, but we get priced out the market with our expensive production costs... so we buy cheap from China.. and support their coal plants...

All depends how you want to look at something. tricky isn't it.

Nobody in the rest of the world gives a toss about our example. It's a hoax always was. Figure it out now or later, eventually.

It was always about western governments taking control of the entire energy sector and by extension the economy and society.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Steven P said:

Why should the west bother with it all when the Chinese are (reportedly) doing nothing

First off because it's the right thing to do!

Secondly they are the biggest investors in renewables on the planet.

Also it easy to be clean when we dont make anything like the UK who then import most of our goods from China  

large_cpqw6126BqeUydOx6g3s1hFFB95xeFhYuXLohqy486U.png

Edited by Woodworks
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Woodworks said:

First off because it's the right thing to do!

Secondly they are biggest investors in renewables on the planet.

Also it easy to be clean when we dont make anything like the UK who then import most of our goods from China  

large_cpqw6126BqeUydOx6g3s1hFFB95xeFhYuXLohqy486U.png

Who is it the right thing to do for? Not us that’s a fact. Not unless we build 25 big nuclear reactors. Yes we can have wind and solar but nuclear has the advantage that it always works.

to add to that why don’t we build massive solar plants on say the Sahara?

it would conceivably power Africa Europe the world? I’ve no idea how much power it would create never mind all the employment and money going into Africa to build and sell the energy 

Edited by Richard 1234
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Richard 1234 said:

Who is it the right thing to do for? Not us that’s a fact. Not unless we build 25 big nuclear reactors. Yes we can have wind and solar but nuclear has the advantage that it always works.

So we dont bother because it inconveniences us now? Yes sod all future generations and just please ourselves now.

Its how we got in this mess and why we probably wont get out of it anytime soon as we are such a selfish shortsighted species. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Haironyourchest said:

Nobody in the rest of the world gives a toss about our example. It's a hoax always was. Figure it out now or later, eventually.

It was always about western governments taking control of the entire energy sector and by extension the economy and society.

It’s truly sad mate, but I sort of agree with you.

It’s like me turning the heating down a couple of notches and putting an extra jumper on while watching my 476 Chinese neighbours burning tyres.

Like this electric car bollocks, just transferring the filth and rape of the planet to a different continent.

How many of these ‘green’ twats would buy one if they had to store the used batteries on their own property?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Woodworks said:

So we dont bother because it inconveniences us now? Yes sod all future generations and just please ourselves now.

Its how we got in this mess and why we probably wont get out of it anytime soon as we are such a selfish shortsighted species. 

What we do here in the UK won’t make any difference other than make us feel better. I agree it needs to be done but the timeframe is too short and we need The whole world to do it. I’m also not convinced it would change much anyway. But it would be worth a try if it was worldwide

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Richard 1234 said:

What we do here in the UK won’t make any difference other than make us feel better. I agree it needs to be done but the timeframe is too short and we need The whole world to do it. I’m also not convinced it would change much anyway. But it would be worth a try if it was worldwide

Let's look at this from another angle and forget any green agenda for a moment.

Fossil fuels are finite. When they are gone they are gone. Oil is an amazing resource that we make loads of things from so let's not burn it when we dont need to. We have near limitless renewables available to us in sun, wind, tidal etc so let's use them where we can and save the oil for the things we really need it for. 

Edited by Woodworks
  • Like 4