What is problem here??

john87

3 minutes ago, john87 said:

"John has been asking basic albeit very relavant questions, indicating a lack of knowledge not ability. Perhaps I like watching people succeed & thrive and a bit more knowledge would load the die in his favour. P"

Yes, and i think your comment is very constructive too..

To go off on a tangent a bit. Yes i could fall out of the tree, hurt myself with the saw etc, but i think i can keep myself safe..

Do you know what worries me more [being 60] I do worry about if i had a heart attack or a stroke up a tree.. Then you would be in BIG trouble..

Anyone else worry about that sort of thing??

john..

Better than having a episode at the wheel.

Carry aspirin for the heart attack and make sure your descent device is one hand operated in case a stroke takes out an arm. Always have your main line set up and ready to rock if you have to bail out in a hurry.

And carry a panic button device of some sort that will alert a reliable contact.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Haironyourchest said:

Better than having a episode at the wheel.

Carry aspirin for the heart attack and make sure your descent device is one hand operated in case a stroke takes out an arm. Always have your main line set up and ready to rock if you have to bail out in a hurry.

And carry a panic button device of some sort that will alert a reliable contact.

Very very sound advice...

john..

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Khriss said:

I had mate in Essex, good certificated climber, fell out of fruit tree- broke his neck. 6 months in neck brace, dunno wot he did, dont think he did. Ticket made no difference, K

To be fair tickets don't make a jot of difference but good training does!!

And listening/taking in the training

And like someone said to fall out of the tree he must of been breaking 1 rule

My mates dad is the best hard wood cutter in our area, never had a ticket or wore any PPE in his life and now in his 70's and still felling/cutting firewood.

But he will have been trained by the old timers that shown him how to do it.

There is a big difference just starting using a chainsaw/climbing with no training even off a decent climber casually.

As i've said not the best climber myself but never heard of anyone combining a blakes and Fo8 for descent before.

I take it ur also climbing solo with no rescue climber?

Also where u not arguing with experienced climbers a while back about step cuts? 

I thought u were claiming they were pointless 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, drinksloe said:

To be fair tickets don't make a jot of difference but good training does!!

And listening/taking in the training

And like someone said to fall out of the tree he must of been breaking 1 rule

My mates dad is the best hard wood cutter in our area, never had a ticket or wore any PPE in his life and now in his 70's and still felling/cutting firewood.

But he will have been trained by the old timers that shown him how to do it.

There is a big difference just starting using a chainsaw/climbing with no training even off a decent climber casually.

As i've said not the best climber myself but never heard of anyone combining a blakes and Fo8 for descent before.

I take it ur also climbing solo with no rescue climber?

Also where u not arguing with experienced climbers a while back about step cuts? 

I thought u were claiming they were pointless 

Not me, i use step cuts. Dont see why the bloke should be put off having a go, neither. K

19 hours ago, john87 said:

"John has been asking basic albeit very relavant questions, indicating a lack of knowledge not ability. Perhaps I like watching people succeed & thrive and a bit more knowledge would load the die in his favour. P"

To go off on a tangent a bit. Yes i could fall out of the tree, hurt myself with the saw etc, but i think i can keep myself safe..

Do you know what worries me more [being 60] I do worry about if i had a heart attack or a stroke up a tree.. Then you would be in BIG trouble..

john..

Yea, me, every time i scuba dive, climb trees or fell them, is why am still here. K

17 minutes ago, Khriss said:

Not me, i use step cuts. Dont see why the bloke should be put off having a go, neither. K

Judging from the context of the post, I would presume he was commenting on the thread starter.

He was quite specific as John mentioned near the beginning of the thread that he didn’t descend on a Blake’s but a Fo8.

Again, the clues are in the detail.

13 minutes ago, Rich Rule said:

Judging from the context of the post, I would presume he was commenting on the thread starter.

He was quite specific as John mentioned near the beginning of the thread that he didn’t descend on a Blake’s but a Fo8.

Again, the clues are in the detail.

I thought he was descending on both at same time a Fo8 and a blakes for back up, but i may have misunderstood?

20 hours ago, john87 said:

john..

Where are you based? Meet some local climbers and go out with them on a Rec climb. Will cost you the price of a few packets of sausages and a crate of beer.

I don't know you at all so hope you don't take offence at this as I certainly don't mean this in an offensive way, but, you don't know what you don't know.

I know a lot of the guys who have posted here personally and can vouch for thier experience and standing. I am also throwing my hat in the "get training" camp. I'd also suggest looking at Dunning Krugar effect.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Stubby said:

I thought that too . Belt and braces .

Or just a pigs ear??

Would u be better not just throwing the Fo8 away and descending on the friction knot perfectly safe and climbers being doing it for decades

And if u hurt 1 hand it would make a 1 handed descend ackward i'd imagine.

I don't care wot tickets u get but just get someone knowledgeable to give u a few hints and wot kit u really need.

A lot of kit ( and not just in tree climbing) is a bit like a fly hook, often designed more to catch the angler than any fish.

Good luck anyway

• Like 2