What is problem here??

john87

29 minutes ago, drinksloe said:

U could also put ur rope up the other tree with a throwline or ladder or even climb it and come back down leaving ur rope up to save u monkey swinging across.

Its always far harder than it looks, even when i was younger and climbing more it took a lot of confidence/bollocks to really go for it

Yes i bet!!! With me the hardest thing is to stop thinking about it.. What i mean is the day i got my friction saver stuck in a tree and i had to go up and get the thing, no worries at all, none whatsoever, as it was about to rain and i was in a mad rush.. it is when you are up a tree and have plenty of time to look around that it hits you WTF am i doing up here!! The worst is, as i climb on a blakes, when you decide you do not like it, and then have to sort out your decender to come down on while you are rather stressed.. Once having done this and coming down though it is rather fun!!

All part of learning i suppose!!

I see what you mean about the rope and that is a great idea!! Stick the rope up the other tree, come back down and than spike up the dead one, instead of trying to swing across.. In the event of things not going to plan, the worst that could happen is that i swing back to the first tree, although this could be seriously not good..

john..

1 hour ago, john87 said:

The worst is, as i climb on a blakes, when you decide you do not like it, and then have to sort out your decender to come down on while you are rather stressed.. Once having done this and coming down though it is rather fun!!

john..

Do you not descend on your Blake’s hitch? I cannot think of a reason why you would not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mick Dempsey said:

It’s a horse chestnut that’s been topped 20/25 years ago.

They don’t like it much and it’s usually a precursor to this sort of decline.

It is an easy enough dismantle for any competent tree bloke, no need for any traversing or any of that.

I was just a bit worried that i would climb up the thing and it fall to bits with me up it!! Bits of it look seriously not good with the bark falling off and what appears to be a crack just above the main part of the trunk in a bit that supports the bulk of the rest of the tree.. In the main, it would have to come down in little bits, as there are things under it that must not get damaged. I could not rope bits down, or at least i would not like to as the loading on the dodgy bits of the tree might be a bit much, and unhappily, i have no idea where all the dodgy rotten bits might be.. Might leave this one to people that know what they are doing!!

john..

1 hour ago, john87 said:

Did not like to cause friction wear to the split tail.. [ I know, please do not laugh!!!]

john..

I think you are at the point of needing to get some training, either formal or other. Your lack of knowledge is starting to disadvantage you and possibly affect your safe working. - just my opinion 

oh & the wear on the cordage is negligible provided that you descend at a sensible speed & even if they do wear they are not expensive. Our whole climbing systems are built around the flexibility to change seamlessly from ascent to descent - a real positive in safety as well as functionality 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Pete Mctree said:

I think you are at the point of needing to get some training, either formal or other. Your lack of knowledge is starting to disadvantage you and possibly affect your safe working. - just my opinion 

oh & the wear on the cordage is negligible provided that you descend at a sensible speed & even if they do wear they are not expensive. Our whole climbing systems are built around the flexibility to change seamlessly from ascent to descent - a real positive in safety as well as functionality 

Yes, suppose you are right.. I do only come down slowly too.. I would be the first to admit that i am no expert too. I know next to nothing about trees for a start off, big green things, would like to learn though so i have been buying books on the subject. At the moment, the only involvement i have with them is removing ones that are damaging a building i care for and sawing them up and sticking them on my logburner!!

john..

• Like 1

Yes, suppose you are right.. I do only come down slowly too.. I would be the first to admit that i am no expert too. I know next to nothing about trees for a start off, big green things, would like to learn though so i have been buying books on the subject. At the moment, the only involvement i have with them is removing ones that are damaging a building i care for and sawing them up and sticking them on my logburner!!

john..

No suppose about it John. He is right.
I don’t want to kerb your enthusiasm but it’s the old saying of don’t run before you can walk.
Those are basic idents in the picture and having some knowledge of diseases / decay in combination with the characteristics and properties of the host species is what will enable you to make informed decisions on if it’s safe to climb or if you need to have an alternative plan
Reading books and using the internet is handy but really needs to be in conjunction with formal training or a knowledgeable tree surgeon who’s willing to pass on their skills and knowledge
Get someone in and offer to help groundwork for them. You’ll learn a lot more than having a go at it yourself
If they are really rotten you’ll probably end up breaking something or worse still yourself.

Stay safe.
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, john87 said:

I see what you mean about the rope and that is a great idea!! Stick the rope up the other tree, come back down and than spike up the dead one, instead of trying to swing across.. In the event of things not going to plan, the worst that could happen is that i swing back to the first tree, although this could be seriously not good..

john..

When you say worst that could happen... I was thinking that's probably the more acceptable possible outcome. How about if the compromised tree fails while you have rope/lanyard attached. 

I remember a thread here suggesting everything from breakaway attachments between harness and lanyard, to using no stopper knot.

Your keen John but I think the best advice you've had is you would benefit most from watching someone else do it.

The leaner from your other thread (Birch isn't it?) sounds like a big step as it is. 

• Like 1