Russia Invades ukraine

topchippyles

5 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

That’s not good.....

The west can’t condemn Russia in relation to protests and human rights after the treatment of anti vax mandate protestors in the west during the last year. 

We don’t have the moral high ground anymore ok so you might as well forget the high and mighty attitude Kevin. 

Disturbing visuals from the protest site in Canada showed police officers...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Johnsond said:

it’s incredible to see the clamour for war crimes investigations even at this stage when we have Bush and  Blair still making regular statements on world affairs, both undoubtedly as guilty as Putin ever will be.

Well it seems fairly obvious that war crimes have been committed during the Russian invasion of Ukraine, so I don't find that particularly incredible.  Bush and Blair's previous actions make zero difference to the guilt or innocence of Putin and those he sends - only their actions do.  Am no particular fan of either Bush or Blair but they are small beer compared to tovarisch Vladimir.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Puffingbilly413 said:

Am no particular fan of either Bush or Blair but they are small beer compared to tovarisch Vladimir.

Tell that to the 100,000+ Iraqis they slaughtered. 

‘About 100,000 Iraqi civilians - half of them women and children - have died in Iraq since the invasion, mostly as a result of airstrikes by coalition forces, according to the first reliable study of the death toll from Iraqi and US public health experts.’

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2004/oct/29/iraq.sarahboseley 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, scotspine1 said:

Meanwhile in Australia....

2E48A8A9-4C9E-4E60-B2D3-52C730B97A72.thumb.jpeg.d079387260a3cd8f675c534de827d588.jpeg

I have just been banned from visiting my dad in the mental health unit due to new and bizarre covid rules! Only 1 visitor from one household allowed and as I wasn’t the last visitor it’s not me! My complaint email to the NHS is getting longer by the day…..

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, scotspine1 said:

Tell that to the 100,000+ Iraqis they slaughtered. 

‘About 100,000 Iraqi civilians - half of them women and children - have died in Iraq since the invasion, mostly as a result of airstrikes by coalition forces, according to the first reliable study of the death toll from Iraqi and US public health experts.’

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2004/oct/29/iraq.sarahboseley 

I've spent a bit of time over there.  Maybe you have too, I don't know.  This article doesn't wash with my experience.  There were obviously no records of how many Saddam Hussein killed during his tenure.

This bit stood out for me:

'We think it is unlikely that deaths were falsely recorded. Interviewers also believed that in the Iraqi culture it was unlikely for respondents to fabricate deaths'

I found things very much the opposite.  People would tell you whatever, sometimes changing their views in the same sentence.

We (the Allies) killed 10,000 French civilians during the Normandy landings.  Trying to decide who is the biggest shithead amongst current and historical political leaders won't change the simple reality that warfare is shitty, bloody and no matter how hard well-intentioned people try, it's pretty indiscriminate when it comes down to it.

• Like 10

39 minutes ago, scotspine1 said:

The west can’t condemn Russia in relation to protests and human rights after the treatment of anti vax mandate protestors in the west during the last year. 

We don’t have the moral high ground anymore ok so you might as well forget the high and mighty attitude Kevin. 

I think you misinterpret my intent old chap. 

There’s no ‘high and mighty’, on the contrary - in relation to UK / Western attitudes towards alternative PoVs. 

More often than not, I find myself in that alternative mindset so I have no flag for the suppression of freedom of speech / expression. 

The ‘not good’ reference to Putin implementing martial law in the face of domestic protest was more focused upon what might be interpreted by his actions and what / where his behaviour might take us. 

You just read it wrong...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, scotspine1 said:

It would seem that while the world is engrossed with Ukraine [ perhaps as it should be ] in Canada Trudolf is trying to push through a bill that will embrace communism.

I saw and posted a recent video in which Klaus Schwab admitted that many world leaders including Trudeau, Macron and indeed Putin all had affiliations to the WEF and their master plan for us all.

Covid goes out like a lightbulb and seamlessly Putin starts a war and with these two short videos a link is provided to a common root between the leaders responsible for two very big global stories neither of which is anywhere near over.. imo.

At 1.26 Putin is linked to the WEF

• Like 1