Energy costs

eggsarascal

Another useful  thing modern houses don't have is a cool  larder/pantry to keep food veg/fruit fresh longer.

Know someone who build one into there house  a   walk in cuboard ventilated to the outside  well insulated walls, & an insulated door from it to the rest of the house.

Thought it was a great version of an old idea.

Edited by Stere
  • Like 4

45 minutes ago, coppice cutter said:

Why does nobody hang washing out to dry anymore?

For us its because we live on Dartmoor 😆   1890mm of rain last year!

We use a dehumidifier at the wettest times which I suspect is more efficient than a tumble drier 

• Like 2

Also less stressful to the clothes
This is another good point. As a nation we wash and dry cloths too frequently in the main. Treating them more as consumables, rather than something to be used and maintained for years. Many issues with this obviously; all that needless energy burnt, resources wasted, microfibers realised into the environment etc etc.
The pinnacle of this, Fast Fashion, is just ridiculous.
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Stere said:

Pedaling a modern stationary bicycle to produce electricity might be a great work-out, but in many cases, it is not...

One way to solve the large energy losses of pedal power generators is not to produce electricity at all but power devices mechanically, whenever possible.

Maya Pedal is a Guatemalan NGO based in San Andreas Itzapa. We accept bikes donated from the USA and Canada...

Interesting read but I doubt the losses are quite as bad as they suggest, anyway I still liked the device to convert a bike and though I doubt I'll ever do it (little space for an indoor bike) it's a bit of fun and puts into perspective our dependence on energy sources.

2 hours ago, Stere said:

I was annoying a the poor  quality of washng line pegs that only last less than a yr got some SS ones that will last virtually forever

Clippe - IPAC

I have those . Had them and others for 5 + years . Still good . A little surface rust on the spring is all . They live out by the way .