Energy costs

eggsarascal

31 minutes ago, Steve Bullman said:

They will have to! It’s not the end of the world for us self employed types who can work that bit hard to earn more, but for those on a low wage or fixed income living within a tight budget the impact will be horrendous 

Very much agree. I cannot imagine what it must be like on a lower fixed income at the moment.

With all the increases at the moment (food, fuel, bills, predicted National Insurance increase) it would be absolutely crippling. I’m sure the governments answer to most will be to “just work harder”…… It’s going to be an extremely hard few years for those on the edge of their income supporting a family 

10 minutes ago, Big J said:

Very much agree. I cannot imagine what it must be like on a lower fixed income at the moment.

I do think the press are going a bit OTT about it though.  It is housing costs in this country that are the real killer.  There is no such thing as a cheap house in many areas whether you rent or buy.  At least energy use most of us have some control over.  Central heating can be turned down a couple of degrees; research can be done on which appliances and habits cost most (really easy with a smart meter).

Even food inflation can be mitigated to a fair extent - how many people can really not save 5% or even 10% on their food bills if they really need to?

I do get that a few people will struggle but genuine poverty is rare indeed in the UK.  I don't think it helps when international bodies (and followed by the UK) say that you are "in poverty" if your income is less than 66% of the national average.  On this basis I and my family have been in poverty most of my life.

• Like 6

When I helped out at the energy cafe a bloke brought two ordinary bikes there and sat the back wheels on rollers each  attached to the motors from 24V electric scooters. A relay of pairs of legs kept the sound system going (which I didn't see as I went home to bed). I wish I had one at home now as the free electricity may incentivise me to take the exercise.

Pedaling a modern stationary bicycle to produce electricity might be a great work-out, but in many cases, it is not...

One way to solve the large energy losses of pedal power generators is not to produce electricity at all but power devices mechanically, whenever possible.

Maya Pedal is a Guatemalan NGO based in San Andreas Itzapa. We accept bikes donated from the USA and Canada...

Those look the business.

It also annoys me that no one else in the family has figured out how to use a clothes peg properly, so that when you put it back on the empty line, you put the line in the slot so that you can push them along in front of you as put the next clothes out.

After nearly forty years of silence I broached the subject just before Christmas.

I'm getting to quite like the dog house!

• Haha 4

Why does nobody hang washing out to dry anymore?
We do. If it's too wet outside it gets hung in front of the fire, or in a spare room by a partially opened window. There is a tumble dryer that was inherited with the house but we've never used it, it's in the shed destined to be sold or given away.

I've never understood why tumble dryers have become such a necessity.

This is a good example of how we should be looking at ways to reduce our energy consumption, rather than arguing about the best sources, (F.F. or Renewable etc), to satisfy our ever increasing overconsumption.
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, sime42 said:

We do. If it's too wet outside it gets hung in front of the fire, or in a spare room by a partially opened window. There is a tumble dryer that was inherited with the house but we've never used it, it's in the shed destined to be sold or given away.

I've never understood why tumble dryers have become such a necessity.

This is a good example of how we should be looking at ways to reduce our energy consumption, rather than arguing about the best sources, (F.F. or Renewable etc), to satisfy our ever increasing overconsumption.

An elderly relative went in to sheltered housing a few years ago and it had a drying room which was simply a smallish area, southerly facing, and the external wall built with narrow slots to allow airflow. No doubt designed on the basis that older people still like to hang out washing.

You last sentence is bang on.

• Like 1