Splitter advice

RobInNorfolk

I am looking to get a splitter for domestic use and keen to get something fast and efficient. This one from Rock Machinery splits in both directions which seems an obvious advantage but as this isn’t the commonest design I’d appreciate any views and experiences on the pros and cons. Also any other advice on splitters you like.

Also I’m minder to get a petrol splitter rather than run it off a tractor (50-60hp) - any thoughts on that?

WWW.ROCKMACHINERY.CO.UK

Have you ever thought “i wish i could double the amount of logs i can split in a single cycle” ? Well now you can ! At Rock Machinery we are always developing machines trying to make splitting easer and simple and the dual action is the latest venom log splitter to change the way … Continue reading 20ton Dual Action log splitter →

• Like 1

You need two people feeding those to take full advantage of it.
They supply a 4 way head with the 20t machine
It’s pretty good. For the small amount I split it’s fine. I only split 50m3 to 70m3 a year
If you can source nice diameter stuff that’s split once on the 4way it’s good. Over sized logs waste time halving them etc to manageable sizes to handle on all
Splitters like this.
Mines been a good little machine. Cheap too.

• Like 1

i have one of these

With its patented design, the Jansen FS-35Speed flywheel wood splitter constitutes a revolution in wood splitting. It...

3 second split cycle 

i've done about 100 odd cube i reckon since i've had it and not had 1 issue 

• Like 2

I have something very much like the 12ton Rock machinery one.

Split 30 cube a year. Combination of petrol and axe. 

If I were buying again, I'd go for the one that can split both vertical and horizontal. With a deck that isn't so low that you bend over it all the time. 

I have modified mine to be single handed operation (tut , tut) and higher but could have avoided this by buying the right one first time. 

Introducing the new 2021 Venom 15ton Compact series log splitter. This new model now features a 2 stage pump and...

like this. 

• Like 2

I have two rock venom splitters - the 20m which will split anything up to a metre in length. It’s actually easier to split longer lengths and then cut the split pieces to the length you want. It goes vertically and horizontally so no piece of wood is too much for it. I’ve split dry beech over a metre in diameter on it without any issues. It’s a big piece of kit at over 3 metres long though.

My second one is the 22 ton road towable one. I bought this second hand (it was too good a deal to turn down). I would say this is probably the better of the two for everyday work.

What you should get depends on what source of wood you have. I get all mine from arb waste, so there’s a mix of sizes, all the gnarly bits too. But I would recommend the towable 22 ton as a good general splitter that will cope with anything thrown at it.

The four way splitting wedge is only good for straight grain and then only freshly felled stuff - if you try splitting something that’s been laid around for a while expect some of it to shoot off.

I’ve used a dual way splitter and to be honest I wasn’t that impressed - as someone said earlier you need two people to reap the benefits.

• Like 3

Thanks Gav73. I also meant to ask what people prefer re splitting billets or final lengths. I’ve been doing some sycamore in billets and it’s been dead easy by hand and has dried well. Cutting to final length afterwards has been a bit of a pain. I’ve been laying a small pile on fence posts but I should make a frame to hold them. I’ve also been doing some logs direct into IBC cages at their final length. This seems to be the least handling.

Lux - it’s a good point that the two way splitter will take some keeping up with.

Stihl123 - not sure id keep up with this one either!

Thanks Gav73. I also meant to ask what people prefer re splitting billets or final lengths. I’ve been doing some sycamore in billets and it’s been dead easy by hand and has dried well. Cutting to final length afterwards has been a bit of a pain. I’ve been laying a small pile on fence posts but I should make a frame to hold them. I’ve also been doing some logs direct into IBC cages at their final length. This seems to be the least handling.

Lux - it’s a good point that the two way splitter will take some keeping up with.

Stihl123 - not sure id keep up with this one either!

Because my firewood is from arb waste, it tends to be lengths that can be handballed by the guys taking the trees down.

My stove also takes a 2’ log - which happens to be the distance to the first bolt on the splitter table, so anything up to that bolt goes in one pile for my stove and anything larger goes into another pile.

I then stack the two piles separately, anything oversize is easier and quicker to stack than the smaller bits and once’s it’s seasoned I just load a bunch onto a bulk saw horse and cut them to the lengths I want.
  • Like 1