Softwood drying times

paul1966

21 hours ago, paul1966 said:

How deep is your log store, the one i am building will be my main one but i am not sure on the depth, i was thinking about 3ft so i can get about three logs end to end to maximise storage  but looking online most are 600mm deep.

Hi Paul .... the measurements are D X 4FT H X 6FT L X 6FT ..... I put extra slats on the outside sides & the base to reduce the gap so the logs didn`t fall out.

Edited by Logdaft

are u splittingt the 8ft into 2x 4ft sections??

Doesn't take much even just some 2x2  4x1 from floor to roof so ur not losing a lot of space

Be easier stacking and makes it easy to only use 1 sid at a time and refil the other side again when empty

Edited by drinksloe
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, drinksloe said:

Doesn't take much even just some 2x2  4x1 from floor to roof so ur not losing a lot of space

Be easier stacking and makes it easy to only use 1 sid at a time and refil the other side again when empty

i wasn't planning too but now you have mentioned it i'll see what wood i have left and see if i can do it

34 minutes ago, drinksloe said:

I wish I had put a vertical divider in mine like that and for exactly that reason.

I'm over half way through my log store and could have been refilling one half, as it is we still have February, normally the coldest month here.

Also with my fetish for checking the moisture content of my logs with a moisture meter I am finding the beech logs in the middle of the stack have up to 28% mc wwb in the middle even though around 17% on the outside so could have done with an extra month of summer seasoning even though they burn perfectly well.

• Like 2

Yip definitely put a divider in, if you look at mine on the 2nd page of this thread you will see the 8ft pallet on the bottom with one pallet for each end and one pallet in the middle to split it into two, this allows for easier stacking and to split it into two distinct processed batches time wise.

There is also a couple of bracers right across the back on this setup, when I build them to be free standing and not against a wall they have another pallet as a back.

• Like 1

I tend to use 1" by 1.5" roofing batten for the sides and roof structure of my log stores. So as to maximize exposure and air flow. I only use pallets for the base. These allow for a stack 3 layers deep, though 2 is better for rapid drying. Batten used to be quite cheap, but like all other construction timber and materials in general has gone up massively recently unfortunately. I've got corrugated plastic roofing on top.

With a large overhang as @Stere recommended.

I've built them all around the large brick built shed, not ideal but I don't want to use up valuable garden space. I try to keep a 3 or 4 inch gap between the back of the stacks and the wall.

I agree with the idea of using multiple partitions in stores, the more the better to an extent. They allow more flexibility in terms of filling amounts and dates; useful if you've got an inconsistent supply of wood like me. Arb arisings that I've cut down myself and managed to persuade the customer to part with normally.IMG_20220124_125531.thumb.jpeg.8047ef0788948a47e1f1a26880692c0e.jpegIMG_20220124_125559.thumb.jpeg.2e0541f9f8cfebf21039c149639b4382.jpeg

• Like 2

Another thing i do often, althou not all the time.

If i have the time and get organised early spring, i dont fill the store up in 1 go, i'll only stack 1 row at a time, stuck 1 section to the roof then leave it for a week or 2 or longer to get the wind into it then stack the 2 row leave again and finally the last row althou u know it will have no problem drying quickly.

Thats the other handy thing with the dividers u can also empty ur store in reverse and just take th front face of 1 area and if 2nd row not quite dry u can move to the next outside row and it gives the inside row more chance to dry.

Althou i have to say where i am if ur timbers not dry by sept/oct its never really going to dry out anymore unless in a greenhouse/sunroom/poly tunnel just too much moisture in the air and little heat in sun at that time of year.

Dividers are dead easy to put up and do make ur life a lot easier

• Like 3