Softwood drying times

paul1966

I think it was just a lack of concentration really, i was using a saw horse with a clamp on the end to hold the saw, i was struggling cutting a log due to the blunt chain so i lifted the saw to rotate the log and at the same time the log went to fall off the end of the table so i went to grab it and just touched the chain as it was stopping.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gav73 said:

I was about to ask the same thing!

Also looking at the pieces you’ve split and stacked in the picture - I would suggest you do some a little bit smaller too.

I was once told 12 months per inch thickness to season. It’s not going to be the case on all firewood as species, air flow, sun and weather will all play a part, but as this is your first self sufficient load it’s worth splitting some smaller to make sure you’re not caught out come winter with the firewood not being seasoned

Thanks I'll take that on board and reduce thickness of logs for the other half

11 hours ago, paul1966 said:

I think it was just a lack of concentration really, i was using a saw horse with a clamp on the end to hold the saw, i was struggling cutting a log due to the blunt chain so i lifted the saw to rotate the log and at the same time the log went to fall off the end of the table so i went to grab it and just touched the chain as it was stopping.

u've been a very lucky boy then.

wot sort of clamp is it?

1 that just holds the saw when ur not holding it or like some i've seen on net that turns ur chainsaw into a chop saw?

the 2nd type always look well scetchy any that i've seen, ur far safer holding ur saw

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drinksloe said:

u've been a very lucky boy then.

wot sort of clamp is it?

1 that just holds the saw when ur not holding it or like some i've seen on net that turns ur chainsaw into a chop saw?

the 2nd type always look well scetchy any that i've seen, ur far safer holding ur saw

Yes and holding it with both hands

And so it begins... You need to get some PPE if you don't have any 😂 Sorry but its true - even a small electic saw would be a life changing accident if it had gone worse! Decent set of gloves, and some trousers would be the first port of call (Im assuming you have some face/eye protection already as thats just bloody annoying not to have). These are cheap for Chainsaw trews. Not going to be the best of course but they meet the certs and since you're only cutting at your house, then you won't worry about whether they're the nicest to wear all day.

SIPs come up big - Im a 34" waist and have a M pair (another style, but SIPs). 

Edited by Ben Pinnick
  • Like 2

I got some rigger boots to work in (plus chainsaw trousers and gloves) and I never noticed doing it but I found a cut through the leather on the toe to the tow cap.  Must have just touched at some point and it went straight through without me even noticing.  I do not want to know what that would do to skin and I use a relatively weak mains electric saw.  Use both hands on the saw and get some PPE.

wrt sharpening, it takes a little while to get good at it but some simple hand tools and internet videos and advice and you will get there.  I've messed up a chain on the way but I rescued it once I realised what I had done and still cheaper than buying new all the time.  I give mine a sharpen when the cutting speed slows down, you can also look at the chip sizes (more dust and fewer chips = time to sharpen), as I have no fuel tank to fill!

Big chunks will take longer to dry so now I agree with the above but once you have a longer term supply then larger chunks are good to keep the fire in for longer so you can play with log size once you get used to it.  Drying times vary with a number of factors but small chunks for now seems sensible.

7 hours ago, Ben Pinnick said:

And so it begins... You need to get some PPE if you don't have any 😂 Sorry but its true - even a small electic saw would be a life changing accident if it had gone worse! Decent set of gloves, and some trousers would be the first port of call (Im assuming you have some face/eye protection already as thats just bloody annoying not to have). These are cheap for Chainsaw trews. Not going to be the best of course but they meet the certs and since you're only cutting at your house, then you won't worry about whether they're the nicest to wear all day.

SIPs come up big - Im a 34" waist and have a M pair (another style, but SIPs). 

Thanks Rob, looking at the chainsaw trousers in your link, i am a 38 waist do you think a large would fit, they have a sizing chart on the site but its not opening for me.