Kitchen knife recommendations

Mark Bolam

On 16/01/2022 at 15:18, spudulike said:

Use plastic or wood chopping boards. If you cut in to ceramic/glass, any knife will go blunt.

There's no such thing as a glass chopping board, and anyone who thinks otherwise deserves blunt knives.

Those big glass rectangles you can buy to inexplicably take up a load of prime countertop real estate... pot stands. The mind boggles. 

The single remaining piece of advice I occasionally give out following a career in kitchens that I'd rather forget is this: stop holding your knife like a mong by wrapping your sweaty palm around the handle as though you're slinging yoghurt, and pinch grip the blade in a thumb and forefinger instead. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, peds said:

There's no such thing as a glass chopping board, and anyone who thinks otherwise deserves blunt knives.

Those big glass rectangles you can buy to inexplicably take up a load of prime countertop real estate... pot stands. The mind boggles. 

The single remaining piece of advice I occasionally give out following a career in kitchens that I'd rather forget is this: stop holding your knife like a mong by wrapping your sweaty palm around the handle as though you're slinging yoghurt, and pinch grip the blade in a thumb and forefinger instead. 

i have to do that anyway as i have big hands and wont fit on the little handles 

On 16/01/2022 at 11:05, Mark Bolam said:

I’m doing a lot of cooking at the minute and my knife selection is pretty tired to say the least.

I’m after recommendations for a simple razor sharp knife that takes an edge and holds it.

Just for general veg prep and dicing chicken mainly, so it doesn’t have to be massive.

I have a Wusthof sharpener that also seems well past it’s best, is there anything better?

Thanks.

I've a good friend of mine who is a full time knife maker based in Edinburgh.

Have a look.

GEMINIBESPOKEKNIVES.COM

https://www.instagram.com/gemini_bespoke_knives/?hl=en

• Like 2

I bought my friend and Groundsman one of these last year for his 50th .
I only sliced a couple of tomatoes (ahhh the old tomato test aye) , but it was a thing of beauty .
Gorgeous balance, very light and looks beautiful.
I honestly very nearly kept it .
Damask steel ….[emoji7]

WWW.CHEFSLOCKER.CO.UK

Beautifully layered, this knife combines razor sharpness and durability with ease of sharpening. A narrower blade here also makes the knife perfect for carving.VG10 high carbon steel is the gold standard and a Chefs favourite exclusively produced in Japan. Superb edge retention, incredibly quick to sharpen and resistant to corrosion.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/01/2022 at 06:01, spuddog0507 said:

Some one above said that stainless dont take a edge, i tend to differ on that one, i have a stainless fileting knife and that does take a edge very well and if i use a stone on it after a steal it is razor sharp, but it dont hold it for very long as its all ways in contact with bone but 5 or 6 stokes with a steal and its back, i would not like to catch my self with it, 

High grade stainless blades are hard to sharpen but once honed have superb edge retention. As opposed to most carbon steel blades which take an edge more readily but dull easily and need sharpening more often. I have a Boker Arbolito Relincho knife which I use for gralloching deer (admittedly an easier life than most kitchen knives which tend to get neglected and abused). The blade is Bohler N695 stainless. I must have had it about ten years and have never needed to resharpen it on a hone. I strop it on leather after every use and it will shave your top lip. 

Stropping is the key to maintaining a long lasting edge in my view. It's polishing the blade rather than sharpening it and removes microscopic serrations which are easily worn down to dull the edge. 

Edited by Gimlet

High grade stainless blades are hard to sharpen but once honed have superb edge retention. As opposed to most carbon steel blades which take an edge more readily but dull easily and need sharpening more often.

Thats not what ive read it may be marketing bull though...

Couldn't get an expensive new SS henckels knife as sharp as a old carbon sabateir one or to stay sharp as long.

Henckels is regarded and sold as a expensive quality brand but they rate it poorly on this chart?

image.thumb.png.6aece73907f6c5a5e72c4c615ab5ed7d.png

THESHARPCHEF.CO.UK

There are two main categories of steel, Carbon steel and Stainless steel. Most knives fall in to one of these...

Other  online sources saying similar but they are trying to flog japanese carbon steel ones. Also many pro chefs still using carbon apparently?

Also my opinel carbone stays sharper longer than a more expensive SS pen knife I have.....

Edited by Stere
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Gimlet said:

I have a Boker Arbolito Relincho knife

So do I, it is the prettiest knife I own I think. I still say the better knives out of Sainsburys are plenty good enough for any domestic kitchen. 

FAE8E86D-DA8B-46C6-BE21-8C8895A6B7DD.jpeg

Edited by Peasgood

• 2 months later...