Tip sites

djbobbins

Just wondering - does anyone use the tip site directory?

I have had an ad on there for nigh on a year, for my site near Warwick, happy to accept softwood, hardwood, chip, plus recently edited to point out that I can take some brash. And I will either donate some drinks, pay to a charity or pay cash (by negotiation) for stuff being tipped.

But not a sniff of contact up to now? Am I doing something wrong?

And TBH I would also be prepared to collect from somewhere fairly local - 10 miles or so - but have only got a smallish trailer so I’m wary of feeling like I’m wasting someone’s time by needing to do a few journeys. I’ve previously collected softwood arisings from Timon (and left a donation to their work) but it’s about 40 minutes each way to get there, so I’m hoping to find something a bit nearer if collection is the only option.

I’ve used it a bit when working out of area and it is generally great! Had a difficult time with it on a job in Essex recently as all the sites were already full or could only take tiny amounts etc, but it indirectly found us somewhere to tip (someone on the directory’s friend had it). 
I guess it might be because there are plenty of sites around you maybe, and local tree surgeons already have their outlets organised? If biomass has a decent value in your area then it’s likely that lads will have their own storage and sell it in bulk.

I've used a handful of places for my small output so yes, we do use the directory.

Probably to @Steve Bullman 's annoyance I haven't left feedback - except once - because access has been awkward; either a fiddle to arrange (allotment site where the recipient lives some way off and needs to know in advance when to be there to unlock) or, as recently, there isn't even room to turn a car round - you have to reverse the trailer 60+ yards up a poor track.  I'm not going to rebuff someone's hospitality by letting me tip on their land only to leave bad feedback.

Also the places I've used can only accept small amounts so advertising them via feedback could be counterproductive

11 minutes ago, monkeybusiness said:

I’ve used it a bit when working out of area and it is generally great! Had a difficult time with it on a job in Essex recently as all the sites were already full or could only take tiny amounts etc, but it indirectly found us somewhere to tip (someone on the directory’s friend had it). 
I guess it might be because there are plenty of sites around you maybe, and local tree surgeons already have their outlets organised? If biomass has a decent value in your area then it’s likely that lads will have their own storage and sell it in bulk.

These sites that only take tiny amounts shouldn’t be on there. I have no way of checking all the sites and rely on people reporting sites like this so I can remove them 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, djbobbins said:

Just wondering - does anyone use the tip site directory?

I have had an ad on there for nigh on a year, for my site near Warwick, happy to accept softwood, hardwood, chip, plus recently edited to point out that I can take some brash. And I will either donate some drinks, pay to a charity or pay cash (by negotiation) for stuff being tipped.

But not a sniff of contact up to now? Am I doing something wrong?

In answer to your question, the contact button is clicked on between 80-100 times per day on average. How many of those clicks result in an actual tip being made I don’t know, but in general I’d say yes it is a very well used feature 

30 minutes ago, Steve Bullman said:

These sites that only take tiny amounts shouldn’t be on there. I have no way of checking all the sites and rely on people reporting sites like this so I can remove them 

Understood Steve but if they weren't there I'd not have found grateful homes for my small output!

3 hours ago, Steve Bullman said:

In answer to your question, the contact button is clicked on between 80-100 times per day on average. How many of those clicks result in an actual tip being made I don’t know, but in general I’d say yes it is a very well used feature 

I have found it very useful, and I have recently had people on there asking for a load of chip for their gardens. You explain it's a full truck load, get there to find a tiny front garden with a one car space. One tipped, the whole garden is swamped, but they still seem pleased! It's something for nothing I suppose. It still amazes me the people on Facebook trying to sell it for £100 a load! No one should ever pay for chip!

• Like 2