Help to identify what species of tree these logs are from?

Rich05uk

Hi,

I received a delivery of logs today and when I called to place the order, I was clear that I needed ready to burn hardwood.  I was told that I would receive a mixed load of Ash and Oak only which would all be ready to burn.  However I'm not convinced these are Ash and Oak?  Furthermore, I put my meter on some of these logs both on the end and at the centre of the log and most have a MC of over 30% and many over 45% so I'm not very happy.  Not sure what to do now as I know these wont burn very well and yet I've paid for seasoned ready to burn hardwood, feel a bit ripped off to be honest.

I'm hoping someone can help identify what species of tree these logs are from?  In the first 3 pictures you can see that the log on the left has a slight red colour to it with a lighter colour ring nearest the bark so thought it could be either cherry or cedar?  The last 2 pictures are just pictures of the remainder of the delivery in case anyone can spot something useful to help identify what species of logs I have received.

Any help much appreciated

Thanks all.

33732680_Pic1.thumb.jpg.c6c7bb665c97dee5728d402b71b18754.jpg

1995881919_Pic2.thumb.jpg.d7d6effcbf0a51afebca228e4fba0a53.jpg

1735103698_Pic3.thumb.jpg.f0e4e995e0d890457df1ce6484db9de4.jpg

1449501727_Pic4.thumb.jpg.c72dd0032b6020fc6b4ddc99af00bdd5.jpg

194437425_Pic5.thumb.jpg.0be86c172b704f03b5fef83b989a393e.jpg

Edited by Rich05uk
Updating Photo's

I can't see the pictures when I open the thread but there's a preview on the app which I can see. Those logs look like ash and probably the pinkish ones are a species of oak. Definitely not cedar, that splits in a kind of brittle way with smooth faces. I'm not seeing cherry, but it's great firewood if it is.

They do look pretty fresh, as Matty says take it up with the supplier. Could be they are imported as "kiln dried" and your supplier is not checking, either way you haven't got what you paid for.

• Like 1

Your pics are on a google account so hardly anyone will be able to see them. Upload them directly here if you want people to comment. I also go on smell, ash, oak and cherry all smell fairly unique and very different to cedar.

To check the moisture you need to split a log and test the center, they may be just damp on the outside.

I doubt the meter is wrong, cheap pin type meters will tend to underread as they read higher the wetter the log. You can check by measuring the moisture of a small log and then drying it off indoors.

Having said that I expect it's highly likely your supplier has run out of seasoned logs and has either cut some from from lenths from last winter which will not have seasoned much or even fresh wood. As said raise this with your supplier.

I think you had problems last year? Is there any way you can take unseasoned logs and season them yourself?

9 hours ago, woodwizzard said:

Can't see any pictures here.

8 hours ago, MattyF said:

Can't see pictures at all , ..wood is supposed to be 20% if sold in less than 2m quantities I'd tell them to pick it up and refund you , would be interesting to see if you can get them prosecuted, maybe ring woodsure for advice.

6 hours ago, Dan Maynard said:

I can't see the pictures when I open the thread but there's a preview on the app which I can see. Those logs look like ash and probably the pinkish ones are a species of oak. Definitely not cedar, that splits in a kind of brittle way with smooth faces. I'm not seeing cherry, but it's great firewood if it is.

They do look pretty fresh, as Matty says take it up with the supplier. Could be they are imported as "kiln dried" and your supplier is not checking, either way you haven't got what you paid for.

5 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

Could be a dodgy £5 moisturiser meter as well?

People think that if they have oak they have the king of firewood and wonder why it kinda just smoulders in the Stove. I’ve found you need to mix it in with some soft to get the best results.

I do like Ash and Cherry though.

4 hours ago, Paul in the woods said:

Your pics are on a google account so hardly anyone will be able to see them. Upload them directly here if you want people to comment. I also go on smell, ash, oak and cherry all smell fairly unique and very different to cedar.

To check the moisture you need to split a log and test the center, they may be just damp on the outside.

I doubt the meter is wrong, cheap pin type meters will tend to underread as they read higher the wetter the log. You can check by measuring the moisture of a small log and then drying it off indoors.

Having said that I expect it's highly likely your supplier has run out of seasoned logs and has either cut some from from lenths from last winter which will not have seasoned much or even fresh wood. As said raise this with your supplier.

I think you had problems last year? Is there any way you can take unseasoned logs and season them yourself?

Hi All, sorry for the issues with the photo's, I didn't realise you couldn't see them  I've uploaded the photos directly this time so you should be able to see them now if you could please take another quick look.  Thanks for your input so far.