Small chipper advice please

WiltshireMike

On 09/12/2021 at 12:45, Ben Pinnick said:

I have a Jansen flail mower, its fine - the Loncins & Lifans are good as as mentioned better than the Briggs equivalents iMHO. They're copies of Hondas so parts can be pretty easy to find too. I have a Sinolink ATV chipper I brought in from China myself. Its a design widely replicated so here's the pros and cons;

Pros - not badly made TBH. It was relatively easy to assemble although if I was making them I would change some design points. The rotating spout is useless for example.
- It does just about manage 12cm as advertised - 10 is safe

- Its not let me down yet. The Lifan engine is good
- Tyres are good, as are the hubs. Although its heavy its well balanced over the axles, so not hard to move around.

Cons - Its noisy AF. But then all those basically unmuffled 4 strokes are. So be aware your neighbours will not love you for it.
- The drum design wont shred masses of stuff at once. It's a chipper. If you put in alot of pine fir or too much leaf from summer deciduous in you'll just be clearing it out every 2 mins. 

- The feed narrows enough that you need to ensure harder stuff is trimmed before going in. Flexy fresh cut will bend to fit the hole as its dragged in, the stuffer stuff wont.
- The wide stance extensions meant my chassis bent at the axle plates. Ive remedied this with some M10 bar that spans the two mounting plates rather than the bolts they installed. I think if Id directly mounted the axles that would not have been an issue, but then it wouldn't be as stable off road.
- Its bigger than you think it will be. Its a bit of a beastie.

SINOLINK.LTD

Find featured wood chippers from Sinolink!! Order Sinolink GS-120 15 HP LIFAN Gas Powered Wood Chipper Shredder...

GS-120-1_1296x.jpeg

I have one of these bought from Agri-Euro for a mere €1372 inc tax and delivery.

Merits:

Incredible value for money.

Productive for 15hp single cylinder.

Loncin engine has a centrifugal clutch.

D-merits:

Shonky security switches.

Infeed a 11cm narrower than a CS100

Noisy chute.

There are 2 rubber gaskets between chute, infeed and body, throw them away, they deform and cause blockages.

Bolt alignment not tip top.

Blades life is less than Greenmech but not a deal breaker as blades only cost €70 a pair.

TBH, if I was running one more often, I'd say a used CS100 would be a better option but this generic Chinesium chippette saved us alot in hire fees and owes us nothing.

Stuart

Edited by Ty Korrigan

8 hours ago, doobin said:

Don’t let the website pictures of European looking men in overalls (gtm, Jansen etc) fool you. It’s the same Chinese drum unit and chassis available on alibaba for peanuts, just with a Honda engine. All those sites saying ‘assembled in Europe’ are basically taking it out the crate and bolting the wheels on, that’s all. If you want to spend stupid money on a Chinese unit, you could buy this! Interestingly, they are claiming it’s ALL european. Have they ripped off the Chinese rip off? 🤣🤣

have a look through the wee chipper thread, only recently I posted the link for a turntable chute you can add to them. 

@WiltshireMike- you need 13hp, the 6hp ones will be a waste of time even for domestic.

If you can’t justify  a cs100 as you’re just domestic, the Chinese ones will do you fine. May want a little fettling, but will do the job just as good once sorted. Usually blade/anvil gap is miles too large. I’m constantly amazed what mine will swallow. 

Gtm opened a factory in China In 09. Just read it on their site. So you're right. Still kept the quality reasonably high though. Mine is a 2018 build and it still says "made in holland", a little disingenuous. At least "assembled in holland" might be factually correct.

I did look at the jansen chippers too and they looked good, the gtm was with a very local dealer who I use a good bit so that sealed the deal for me. Also noticed they now do swivel chutes so will see can I get one for reasonable money. Easier than fabricating one, especially with my rather limited welding skills!

46 minutes ago, Conor Wright said:

Gtm opened a factory in China In 09. Just read it on their site. 

I doubt that very much, just marketing spin that.

What is likely is that they bought production space in an existing factory that manufactures for many brands, with each specifying their nuances of small features but basically all the same base models of machines.

My Chinesium chippette was unassembled which also explains the low price.

Stuart

• Like 2

Like a few people here I've a Hyundai 14Hp electric start, owed it for a few years.  Looks similar to many of the chinese machine, starts first time.  Will handle over the rated capacity of fresh or semi rotted wood, doesn't like larger dry timber but think that's the same with most machines.  Comes in a crate for self assembly which I did mostly myself only got help from a neighbour to bolt on the feed shoot which is heavy.  Only two issues with it is the elbow on the discharge shoot has a tenancy to work loose and move and the plastic curtain on the feed shoot is too light and I've had chunks ejected back out so learnt not to stand there while chipping, have a piece of heavy duty clear plastic to bolt on there at some time.

19 hours ago, SteveW1000 said:

Like a few people here I've a Hyundai 14Hp electric start, owed it for a few years.  Looks similar to many of the chinese machine, starts first time.  Will handle over the rated capacity of fresh or semi rotted wood, doesn't like larger dry timber but think that's the same with most machines.  Comes in a crate for self assembly which I did mostly myself only got help from a neighbour to bolt on the feed shoot which is heavy.  Only two issues with it is the elbow on the discharge shoot has a tenancy to work loose and move and the plastic curtain on the feed shoot is too light and I've had chunks ejected back out so learnt not to stand there while chipping, have a piece of heavy duty clear plastic to bolt on there at some time.

Ive the same machine, i actually think its 15HP. I look after 6 acres with it and its never missed a beat in 3 years. I dont chip anything larger than 2.5 inches with it as that gets cut for the fire but for the money paid for it its one of the best value pieces of kit i own. 

• Like 1

On 09/12/2021 at 22:33, Will C said:

How much is the cs80 @GA Groundcare? It may fit the budget better.

If not take a peek at The wheeled version of this perruzo, it may be a bit cheaper than the cs100 and is every bit as good. I’ve used the tracked version lots and it punches well above it weight as will the green mech cs 80 or cs 100

However from a moral point of view it is a shameless rip off of the greenmech, if that worries you.

https://www.ryetec.co.uk/peruzzo-tb100-chipper/

The CS80 is about 1k cheaper than the CS100 18hp in round numbers. Those B&S 18hp V twin electric start engines cost more alone than some of the cheaper chippers! 

Isn't there a saying about copying is the best form of flattery.... 

Edited by GA Groundcare