Pulley for winching

Hello,

I run a Uniforest 35M winch on a 26hp Solis tractor with 20hp at the pto.

I have no idea just what pull 20hp can create.

However the pull can be pretty brutal at full pto revs so I wondered about using a pulley to create more force and reduce the speed of the pull.

I'd appreciate the advice of those more experienced.

Stuart

Screenshot_2021-12-02-18-13-53-522_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.2a4ffaee650bb5a695d284bad901adb1.jpg

Screenshot_2021-12-02-18-14-10-520_com.android.chrome.jpg

I use(d) this rather more beefy specimen on exactly the same winch on my 35hp Kubota (that you should have bought) Did some amazing pulls.

I found that the forces at play are quite extreme so..

A. Be certain to stay out of the triangle.

B. Be aware that your anchor point can fail, so a 12” diameter birch can get uprooted even if your strop is very low.

C. Strops, ropes and even chains (well that’s a bit of an exaggeration) need to be  tip top.

(fantastic set up for arb, never found wanting for power)

BE05626E-D2C8-4347-BE57-87102BE26A36.jpeg

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ty Korrigan said:

Hello,

I run a Uniforest 35M winch on a 26hp Solis tractor with 20hp at the pto.

I have no idea just what pull 20hp can create.

However the pull can be pretty brutal at full pto revs so I wondered about using a pulley to create more force and reduce the speed of the pull.

I'd appreciate the advice of those more experienced.

Stuart

Screenshot_2021-12-02-18-13-53-522_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.2a4ffaee650bb5a695d284bad901adb1.jpg

Screenshot_2021-12-02-18-14-10-520_com.android.chrome.jpg

That snatch block/pulley will be fine , we use then and i think they are rated to 8 tonne, only problem i see with that is the price at 162 euros ? the ones i have bought have come off Ebay for about 20 quid each, we have about 4 of them and all seen a bit of service now, they have a grease nipple on the other side of the pin just keep it gtrased and it will be fine, if you are doing a fair bit of winch work one thing i will recomend is a self release block which saves a lot of leg work and time, i think uniforest do one but Igland definatly do, not cheap but well worth it, the one we had i made it myself many years ago as when i wanted one delivery time was something like 6 wks,

• Like 1

This?

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

Made from zinc plated CNC precision cut carbon steel to ensure smooth...

I'd order it but Brexit means double vat, tariffs and handling on top of postage.

I could get a couple sent to a UK client though who could bring them them over.

Stuart

• Like 1

Wouldn’t touch those Rhino snatch block pulley’s with a barge pole, those shafts with clips either end will probably burst apart eventually, they look sh*t, probably are sh*t, probably Chinese made, you get what you pay for🤔. Look for some ex MOD ones, even used they will be quality compared to those above. The one Mick shows will probably outlast all of us. Looks similar to the Super power winch ones, or they do a quality snatch block similar to the Rhino( but better🙄)one for about £30.00. Try some of the off-road outlet places, Milner, etc.

I appreciate the heads up on the pulley from Ebay.

Ordered 2 from Ebay.fr €65

My colleague actually found one like Mick's with a hook lying in the forest.

It would take some time to clean up though, been there a while.

I'll suck it and see how the Chinesium works out before I lash out on anything above my pay grade.

Stuart

Edited by Ty Korrigan

I don't do alot of winch work and when I do it is more for pulling trees over, typically leylandii windbreaks but soon I'll be helping a mate with some windthrown in a woodland on a steep bank.

If I was running a grown ups tractor I'd definitely lash out on one of those quality self releasing ones.

Those 4x4 type pulleys are designed for winching your Ranger out of a ditch, leave them alone.

The swing cheek one in Mick’s image with the swivel hook is the way forward, I use them often, just compare both of them in your hand and you can feel the wight/build difference.

Just check the compatibility of the block with your steel rope diameter.

‘Ace’ brand are made in Birmingham, they do a good snatch block, they are on Ebay and have a direct website.

• Like 1