What Mog???

Fat Boy Slimmed

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the red diesel thing is a nightmare, one link says one thing, one says another. look at the cylage contractors, they go all over the area on red, if you are like me FBS, i live in a rural area, most of the time i am on country roads with in 2 miles from my yard which is a farm, i have never been quizzed or questioned on running mogs on red, i have worked with the police on jobs and have asked them, they just look at the tax disc and say its ok:confused1::001_smile:and most of us dont sell chip and use the logs ourselfs, so we arent making money on the road

You are asking the wrong man. Plod won’t be even slightly interested in your fuel, it’s outside their remit but Her Majesty’s Customs and Excise will be more than interested.

You also don’t have to be selling the chip or log to be working for hire or reward, it’s enough that you got paid for the job.

Trundling a couple of miles on country roads will keep you out of the reach of the HMCE enforcement units, at least until they target through advertising. Recently they looked at groundwork contractors near me and nabbed several for using red in tractors.

why a mog? is it to go off road, drag big trailers, run a pto chipper? From this side of the screen it seems you are willing to buy anything as long as it is a mog, great for the seller, some will tell you anything so they can just sell it, but there are plenty of mogs around with good engines, david on here had a 1250 set up with tool box, chip box and chipper for sale. ready to work tomorrow:thumbup1:

chears mate :001_smile:think iv sold the chipper ( guys ment to be getting it this week). id say if your wanting to run a mog then u need a front mount chipper and a trailer, same idea as dave skyhuk. you need to be owner operater too as i think mogs get a bad reputation when you let the boys have a shot of the big tonka toy, just for the crack :sneaky2:

If you have the work, need the 4x4 and can afford running costs then go for it. When buying look for orignal machine that hasn`t been tarted up. Went down the cheaper route myself got ripped, however now have just about replaced the whole machine. Be careful lol

If its increased capacity you are after and not increased off road ability I would look at a normal tip truck and chipper combination.

If a Mog is really what you need,then go out and drive a few.Loading logs manually is a bit of a pain due to the hight of the deck and rear mounted chipper (if you mount it there).Parts are expensive and travel speed of many mogs is slow in comparason to normal trucks.

However if the bulk of your work is near your base and you regularly require off road capability in excess of a normal truck then a Mog might be for you.

Does adding an intercooler to a normally aspirated engine make any difference? Or does yours have a turbo?

FWIW I have driven both chassis sizes in an urban environment (u1000 and u1750) The big one was a nightmare, long drags because you cant take it down peoples driveways and a difficult when you meet another large vehicle in a narrow street. The 1000 was little different from a large van, only slower, much slower.:001_smile:

yeah mines got a turbo. standard it was 120hp but it needed more power skyhucks must b gud with 245!u can tell axel size is the 1200 has 6 whell nuts 1600 has 8 and 1500 1700 have 10

yeah mines got a turbo. standard it was 120hp but it needed more power skyhucks must b gud with 245!u can tell axel size is the 1200 has 6 whell nuts 1600 has 8 and 1500 1700 have 10

Post 1995 1600's have 10 (mine has) the axles are no heaver duty than the 8 stud, its just to standardize the rims I think.