What Mog???

Fat Boy Slimmed

Skyhuck who posts on here has the best mog set up i have ever seen, he seems to use it to its full potential as well.

i would not be buying something with a knackered engine mate, it may be the unit has not been maintained and a poor maintained second hand unimog would be a money pit.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Skyhuck who posts on here has the best mog set up i have ever seen, he seems to use it to its full potential as well.

i would not be buying something with a knackered engine mate, it may be the unit has not been maintained and a poor maintained second hand unimog would be a money pit.

Both of these points are absoloutely true.:001_smile:

Not confused by HP and Chassis size.

Just wondering would it be worth buying a 1200 with kackered engine and sticking bigger engine in or getting a 1300/1500/1600 and doing the same?

I'm not being funny, but I think you are confused, you have listed 2 large chassis mogs followed by a small chassis.

Mine is a U1600 (small chassis) with a factory fitted 210HP engine which has been uprated to 245HP.

i have a 1200 that runs at 160hp its a gud size it runs my tp all day with out stress control!can get it just about anywer! its the fuel pump and injectors u change for more hp and also ad a intercooler

Does adding an intercooler to a normally aspirated engine make any difference? Or does yours have a turbo?

FWIW I have driven both chassis sizes in an urban environment (u1000 and u1750) The big one was a nightmare, long drags because you cant take it down peoples driveways and a difficult when you meet another large vehicle in a narrow street. The 1000 was little different from a large van, only slower, much slower.:001_smile:

Ok guy's cheers for the replies so far.

I have been lead to belive that 1300 and above are heavy duty chassis/ axel's and below are light weight.

I have seen a 1250 for sale with atkinson vos and Im pondering weather to purchase this vehicle but to replace the engine and gear box plus other things! or weather to look for a larger model (ie1500 or 1750) to poss do the same with, and in the not to distant future tow timber/ large trailers.

Stu we dont know each other but we often pass each other! landrover owners notice other landy owners!

Regards Fat Boy

Generally speaking the even numbers are small chassis, IE 1000,1200,1400,1600.

Odd numbers are large chassis, IE 1300,1500,1700,2100.

But there are exceptions, 2400 is large, 1300L is small.

Be very, very, very, very, VERY, careful buying a mog, my advice would be to speak to Alex Price.

I would only buy one if you are working 6 days a week with your current gear and have more work coming in than you can cope with, so that a mog will mean you can do the equivalent of 8 or 9 day work with your current gear in 6 days with the mog.

why a mog? is it to go off road, drag big trailers, run a pto chipper? From this side of the screen it seems you are willing to buy anything as long as it is a mog, great for the seller, some will tell you anything so they can just sell it, but there are plenty of mogs around with good engines, david on here had a 1250 set up with tool box, chip box and chipper for sale. ready to work tomorrow:thumbup1:

Ok guy's cheers for the replies so far.

I have been lead to belive that 1300 and above are heavy duty chassis/ axel's and below are light weight.

I have seen a 1250 for sale with atkinson vos and Im pondering weather to purchase this vehicle but to replace the engine and gear box plus other things! or weather to look for a larger model (ie1500 or 1750) to poss do the same with, and in the not to distant future tow timber/ large trailers.

Stu we dont know each other but we often pass each other! landrover owners notice other landy owners!

Regards Fat Boy

Oh i think i get it now so you are stuart newell then surely you know mog didnt you have one with matt.

Ok we have been working 6 days a week for the past 18 months sundays and evenings i look at jobs!

At present i run 2x landy 130 tippers 1x towing chipper and the other towing a 12x 6 trailer with 4' sides and still i cannot keep up!!

At present we are quoting for work 4-6 weeks ahead and only today i have been looking at a months worth of work. :thumbup1:

My landys take approx 12m2 of chip and the trailer 8m2.

Like SKYHUCK most of my work i need to fit in an 8ft gateway, so unit, engine and trailer surgestion's would be good.

Regards Fat Boy