Can chainsaws be more safe?

pete_08

7 hours ago, Silverhooker said:

Back to the topic of making saws safer, would a sort of dead mans handle device on the front handle be a good idea to stop idiots using saws 1 handed ?? ( although I bet we've all done it). As this is what the young chap who started the thread was looking for.

Might be good for home owner type saws where there is  often a temptation to stretch out just to get that last side branch !!

Is all one handed use unsafe ?- it is still taught I believe at extremes of reach in appropriate situations.

29 minutes ago, spudulike said:

Stihl had a chain brake system operated by the rear handle where the normal throttle lock is usually located. The saws brake would be engaged if pressure was released from the rear handle. 

It was a bit alien but probably a reasonable safety device!

Is that the same as the Husqvarna one that was on the 346 a while back Steve ?

You can't make chainsaw safer. Can't be done. The inertial chain break and, I would argue, vibration damping, are the practical limit. Any other safety features only retard the utility of the machine, which causes frustration and leads to unsafer work style, wiping out the gains. You can make the chain a bit safer, but at the expense of utility. The safety margin with modern saws is 10% saw 90% user. 

24 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Is that the same as the Husqvarna one that was on the 346 a while back Steve ?

I don't think I have seen the Triobrake system in the flesh but have seen the stihl one....I think on a 261. First thought was....Jesus, this throttle lock is stiff but then realized what it was all about.  

• Like 1

Just now, spudulike said:

I don't think I have seen the Triobrake system in the flesh but have seen the stihl one....I think on a 261. First thought was....Jesus, this throttle lock is stiff but then realized what it was all about.  

You ported my 346xp trio brake a few years back. I have two, I use them mostly when cutting chestnut coppice. The trio brake is fantastic on a ground saw, never had it get in the way or get damaged, and far easier to engage the brake with the rear hand on certain situations/terrains.

Some sort of sensor / trigger on the front handle which prevents the saw from being able to be accelerated without 2 hands being on the saw would be good for diy users. I once laid the saw down on its side without the chain brake on and a twig caught the throttle and revved the saw up .