£15/hour

eggsarascal

5 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

I would if it took me all afternoon and was for 10 adults and however many kids!

Evening meals are eaten together, and people sign up to cook. This means that you only have to cook about once a fortnight, but it takes all afternoon.

Everyone pays a monthly rent to the co-op. Rents are kept low because members put in two days per week work – this could be in the gardens, working with the animals, splitting logs, maintaining the property, admin, cooking, cleaning etc. This means that members have paid work outside the community, but part-time.

You might have more private living space than me, but is it a competition? I doubt you do though. emoji3.png 

Im sure its a rewarding lifestyle though, but certainly not for me. Im sure we like very much the same things in life, I just prefer that on my own terms and in privacy and seclusion. I have enough of living in a commune when working off-shore, I certainly do not need more unwashed hairy buggers around me when I come home too!:D 

This is my new wee workshop my brother and I are building. 4.7m x 4.7m ( guess how long my mill can currently cut? emoji3.png ) Will be for wood working only as I have a  Barn up on a local farm. Plus whisky drinking and looking out at the views. 

IMG_3950.jpgIMG_3951.jpgIMG_3954.jpg

Just caught a glimpse of the bonnet of an old Husqvarna ride on .   Is it one of the old 4 wheel steer ones ? I had one of those . I thought they were brilliant , ahead of their time and fast as fcuk !

• Like 1

You might have more private living space than me, but is it a competition? I doubt you do though. [emoji3]   
Im sure its a rewarding lifestyle though, but certainly not for me. Im sure we like very much the same things in life, I just prefer that on my own terms and in privacy and seclusion. I have enough of living in a commune when working off-shore, I certainly do not need more unwashed hairy buggers around me when I come home too!biggrin.png 

This is my new wee workshop my brother and I are building. 4.7m x 4.7m ( guess how long my mill can currently cut? [emoji3] ) Will be for wood working only as I have a  Barn up on a local farm. Plus whisky drinking and looking out at the views. 
IMG_3950.thumb.jpg.56c359814146192014e5e0d7197fa9f0.jpgIMG_3951.thumb.jpg.6cac40f1c9fedab7c827f510b922ef4f.jpgIMG_3954.thumb.jpg.063ddf1d2087bc5759f793bb834bd879.jpg
The problem is you have many misconceptions and assumptions that you have invented yourself.
I don't lose two days earning. A lot of my work I do in the evening etc. On average I only do 4 days work a week though.
Took me about 2 hours to do stew and dumplings for 30. Deliberately made twice as much as needed so can be eaten in couple of days.
  • Like 3

Just caught a glimpse of the bonnet of an old Husqvarna ride on .   Is it one of the old 4 wheel steer ones ? I had one of those . I thought they were brilliant , ahead of their time and fast as fcuk !

It is a Husky. [emoji4] Just a wee YTH 150. 42" Cutting Deck. Its now the log-getter with a bogie that carried half a cube down to the house each day.

Got a steal on this old McCulloch (husky), Basically the same as the YTH150 but has a new 22hp engine. Was owned by a local Caravan Site and meticulously maintained. Got it for £400 with a spare 15hp motor that I just flogged for £200. [emoji3] 

e07700f8-9114-4f82-911f-320f81677859.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, trigger_andy said:

It is a Husky. :) Just a wee YTH 150. 42" Cutting Deck. Its now the log-getter with a bogie that carried half a cube down to the house each day.

Got a steal on this old McCulloch (husky), Basically the same as the YTH150 but has a new 22hp engine. Was owned by a local Caravan Site and meticulously maintained. Got it for £400 with a spare 15hp motor that I just flogged for £200. :D 

Oh Ok bud . I had one of those 4 wheel steer ones , same faded orange as yours . Bloody good tools .

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, muttley9050 said:

The problem is you have many misconceptions and assumptions that you have invented yourself.
I don't lose two days earning. A lot of my work I do in the evening etc. On average I only do 4 days work a week though.
Took me about 2 hours to do stew and dumplings for 30. Deliberately made twice as much as needed so can be eaten in couple of days.

Don’t get bogged down in Andy’s perceptions and comparisons with his personal ideal. 

Whilst not for me either, I am genuinely interested in hearing more about the set up and organisation of your scenario. 

Make for an interesting thread in its own right IMHO

• Like 13

5 minutes ago, muttley9050 said:

Well I was quoting from some on-line articles posted by members or ex members of your commune.

Id keep quite it only took you 2 hours, you'll still owe them 6 more for today otherwise. :D 

Im glad you've found your calling. Its clearly for some folk and not for others. Personally I like my own space and the joy that comes from gaining the fruits of my own labour and not being forced to share that with everyone and then one day have to walk away from it all. Each to their own. 

Well I was quoting from some on-line articles posted by members or ex members of your commune.

Id keep quite it only took you 2 hours, you'll still owe them 6 more for today otherwise. [emoji3] 

Im glad you've found your calling. Its clearly for some folk and not for others. Personally I like my own space and the joy that comes from gaining the fruits of my own labour and not being forced to share that with everyone and then one day have to walk away from it all. Each to their own. 
As mick says you relate everything to money. Earning potential etc. I don't.

Just now, muttley9050 said:
22 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Id keep quite it only took you 2 hours, you'll still owe them 6 more for today otherwise. emoji3.png 

Read more  

As mick says you relate everything to money. Earning potential etc. I don't.

I dont relate everything to money, although I can see why it seems that way. I could work way more days off-shore than I do if I wanted. I could double my yearly wage by going from 80-100 days a year to 180. But I want a balance of home life and to be able to provide my family with a comfortable lifestyle and if I can do that by working just over a quarter of a year then I'll do that and not chase the money. 

If you're having to give two days a week labour to the commune then of course Im going to consider the earning potential you're giving up in the belief you're getting 'low rent'. 

You've still not explained what this £1 buy-in is you mentioned? 

45 minutes ago, muttley9050 said:
49 minutes ago, Mike Hill said:
Depends:

Woofers can be people employed in public service jobs who get long holidays but low wages. On their 6 week summer holiday they could doss about their flat,take a booze soaked package holiday to some sunny place or Woof across Canada for basically the cost of their plane tickets .

Exactly. A cheap weekend away too and meet some interesting people.

This.

It was amazing the skill exchanges that took place.I taught a Scottish Butcher how to sharpen a Chainsaw,he taught me how to steel a knife. 

I let a Canadian woman use my bath,she showed me a reverse cowgirl..

• Like 2
  • Haha 7