Future Firewood Demand Optimism?

Billhook

2 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

I have the same book. I don’t recall reading that?

Could you post a pic of that up?

I have the book too. I remember quite clearly reading the bit about it being a legal requirement to have another source of heating in case of power failure. I can't recall if it specified what type of alternative heating. I have just picked the book off the shelf for a quick flick through, but without starting at the beginning and reading each page it might take me a while to find the relevant section.

1 minute ago, maybelateron said:

I have the book too. I remember quite clearly reading the bit about it being a legal requirement to have another source of heating in case of power failure. I can't recall if it specified what type of alternative heating. I have just picked the book off the shelf for a quick flick through, but without starting at the beginning and reading each page it might take me a while to find the relevant section.

Maybe the two other guys who live in Norway could add input here as well. From having lived in Norway and have mates who have built houses in Norway within the last 5 years I can assure you they did not need an alternative heating source. 

The house I rented in Norway just had electric heating. The house I bought in Norway just had electric heating. 

Im gonna take a whimsical books comment  with a big full of salt because it sure does not tally up with what I’ve actually seen and lived. I don’t remember reading that passage myself and I’m sure it would have stood out if I had. 

Perhaps it’s a kommuner thing? Parts of Norway that get severe weather might have local legislation? It certainly is not in Rogaland where I lived. 

Found it. Page 25 in the hardback copy, half way down. Only reason I have not put up a pic is I assume copyright etc says I should not. Instead I will quote verbatim: "For this reason every house in Norway exceeding a certain size is obliged by law to have an alternative source of heating, which in practice means a woodstove. The requirement comes not, as one might think, from the Building Standards Department, but from the Directorate for Civil Protection and Emergency Planning ..."

• Like 2

Found it. Page 25 in the hardback copy, half way down. Only reason I have not put up a pic is I assume copyright etc says I should not. Instead I will quote verbatim: "For this reason every house in Norway exceeding a certain size is obliged by law to have an alternative source of heating, which in practice means a woodstove. The requirement comes not, as one might think, from the Building Standards Department, but from the Directorate for Civil Protection and Emergency Planning ..."

Interesting. I’m on an Norwegian Oil and Gas Platform and just asked two different Norgies. Both looked at me like I was crazy. One says it might have been a law at some point in the past but not now. I’ll ask some others and see what they say.

19 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Interesting. I’m on an Norwegian Oil and Gas Platform and just asked two different Norgies. Both looked at me like I was crazy. One says it might have been a law at some point in the past but not now. I’ll ask some others and see what they say.

Admit it you are wrong yet again. 🙃🤭

6 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

Admit it you are wrong yet again. 🙃🤭

Unlike you Leslie I’ll freely admit it when I’m wrong. In this instance I don’t believe I am.

Just spoke with another older Norwegian and he said when he built his house in 1990 it was was this law was being phased out. He built his house (250sq/m) just after the date change and had issues not putting a stove in because not everyone was up to date. Just like Lars Mitting it seems. 

I knew it was not law anyway since I’ve been involved with two house builds in Norway and neither needed a Stove installed. 

30 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Unlike you Leslie I’ll freely admit it when I’m wrong. In this instance I don’t believe I am.

Just spoke with another older Norwegian and he said when he built his house in 1990 it was was this law was being phased out. He built his house (250sq/m) just after the date change and had issues not putting a stove in because not everyone was up to date. Just like Lars Mitting it seems. 

I knew it was not law anyway since I’ve been involved with two house builds in Norway and neither needed a Stove installed. 

I think that we should all push for it to be law in the UK!

• Like 2

I have been following this thread. Last week we lost out electricity for 3 days due to the storm. We were ok as the stove heated the house and we also have a caravan with cooker etc. Our neighbours are older people in council bungalows. A few years ago the powers that b decided to remove the gas fire from the living rooms and fit electric ones due to removing the chimneys. These vulnerable people were left without heat for 3 days. In the past social housing had to have two sources of heating seams the rules have changed!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...