Bucket truck fatality

kevinjohnsonmbe

2 minutes ago, Sviatoslav Tulin said:

While tiping previos comment, i just seen how 2 of my neighbours combine weight of min 200 kilo plus 2 bucket , painting a hause from old TRAILER TIPE MEWP, f... Rated a 150 kilos, what can i say, I'll go harass them😀

Go for it ;)  dont get covered in paint !  K

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, aspenarb said:

Mewps and cranes seem to be first choice these days, I do wonder sometimes whether its worth the ag when I look at the cost, setup time and transport. Climbers these days tend to wimp out on big takedowns and call in machines, in most cases they could of chogged them down in a fraction of the cranes setup time.

Bob

I would say that last bit is utter bollocks in my experience Bob.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok.. Now this is something i know about!!

Many years ago, i worked for, what was at the time, the largest, [i think] hirer of these things in the uk. My job was structural repairs to the things, and i can tell you that they are a load of shit.. No way on this earth would i go up in one..

The things used to have recalls all the time with cracks appearing. There was one type that went up to 70 feet. You would have large cracks where the axles were welded to the structure [the things weighed getting on for 20 tons] and worst of all, cracks in the bracket that supported the cage the operator stood in. It was a trully crap design, that i modified somewhat, and, as far as i know, details of my mod were sent to the makers to be adopted worldwide..

I was on a site once, and the operators of one were laughing at me because i refused to go up in the thing. Oh how they laughed.. They did not laugh quite so much when i showed them all the welding repairs that the thing had had..

Often, the operators are nuts mind. I went to one site to do some dye/pen crack testing to a cage rotate mechanism. Sure enough, large cracks.. I told the hirer this, showed them, and told them the machine was not to be used and a replacement would be sent out.. I went back to the site a while later, and there they were up in the thing..

I have seen idiots up in the things with oxy/acetylene burning gear, and also a machine at full height and then an extension ladder erected to gain more height.

I have seen a clown drive a large boom type machine off a foot high drop and then seem surprised that he only just managed to stay in the cage as the machine nearly launched the muppet into orbit..

I think it is fair to say that many of the people that use these things are not the brightest..

Cannot help some people..

john..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2