Bucket truck fatality

kevinjohnsonmbe

VERTIKAL.NET

A female tree worker died earlier this morning when the boom of a truck mounted platform/bucket truck suffered...

Thankfully still rare in UK, the number, frequency and similarity of MEWP / BT accidents where they are more widely used seems to present more Arb aerial accident instances than climbing. 

Im not buying the MEWP should be the default ‘safer’ option that is presented in certain quarters. 

A competent climber, applying proper working practice, using kit that they them self can visually check before use as compared to climbing into a machine that the user is rarely qualified or sufficiently experienced to properly check. 

Does anybody actually believe or subscribe to the MEWPs position as ‘preferable’ to climbing?

• Like 6

8 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:
VERTIKAL.NET

A female tree worker died earlier this morning when the boom of a truck mounted platform/bucket truck suffered...

Thankfully still rare in UK, the number, frequency and similarity of MEWP / BT accidents where they are more widely used seems to present more Arb aerial accident instances than climbing. 

Im not buying the MEWP should be the default ‘safer’ option that is presented in certain quarters. 

A competent climber, applying proper working practice, using kit that they them self can visually check before use as compared to climbing into a machine that the user is rarely qualified or sufficiently experienced to properly check. 

Does anybody actually believe or subscribe to the MEWPs position as ‘preferable’ to climbing?

Sounds horrible.

I did notice the last bit from the article - it seems this is the second such incident.  I'm not working with MEWPs this week thankfully.

''We have no idea what happened in this case, or the one we covered yesterday, but hopefully we will all learn from both incidents, in the meantime two people in their 50s are gone.

PS: Oh and if you are superstitious you might well subscribe to the belief that 'bad things come in threes'. If so and you are using a platform or a crane this week, use this as an excuse to take extra care and follow the recommended pre-use inspection protocols.''

Edited by Puffingbilly413

Mewps and cranes seem to be first choice these days, I do wonder sometimes whether its worth the ag when I look at the cost, setup time and transport. Climbers these days tend to wimp out on big takedowns and call in machines, in most cases they could of chogged them down in a fraction of the cranes setup time.

Bob

• Like 2

I personally, had 2 bad cases with crane(i still believe it was bad operator and safety neglect) , since that never use them again.Never had any incident with MEWP, and i hope will never have them. Cant find stats now,but 1 incedent on rope 4 on basket world awerage, i believe more basket workers than rope in the world, so incedent occurrence about the same. 

• Like 1