Fires???

Ian Flatters

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No disrespect, but I find that this is a better site.

The OPSI site just tells you the act as it was written, the other is updated.

I was most embarrassed after checking the law on the OPSI site, and getting into a steaming row with a government officer about it. Turned out the law had been changed somewhere down the line. :blushing:

particle boards (formaldehyde) and others, I did a lot of googling.

Formaldehyde is an intermediate in the combustion reaction, so I wouldn't fret too much about burning that, as long as your fire is hot.

Edited by Hairyloon

Burning commercial green waste on site is totally legal, and is carried out by both councils and the Environment Agency on a regular basis round here.

Problems arise involving transportation, constant nuisance causing smoke, and burning of prohibited material.

As Andy has pointed out, there are NO specific laws relating to bonfires.

Usually, problems will not occur when common sense is applied.

This is when the problems start....:001_tt2:

Burning commercial green waste on site is totally legal, and is carried out by both councils and the Environment Agency on a regular basis round here.

Problems arise involving transportation, constant nuisance causing smoke, and burning of prohibited material.

Excellent post Mark, nice to see it in laymans terms

EVERYONE, make note of this post:thumbup:

You can have a controlled burn but its nice to call your local fire service and let them know in advance as they will have to go on blue lights to your fire if someone rings it in. If the fire causes a nuisance to anyone ie. smoke blowing onto their washing, into windows etc it has to be put out by the fire service. Also the fire cant threaten any properties nearby either direct or with blowing embers. If you supervise the fire and comply with the above you are ok. Im a firefighter:thumbup1:

Lol I think that mite have prevented some interventions with our brave fire fighters who had been informed of a van on fire on the side of the rd on cold winter eves! only to descover a warm me letting our heat out in order to show them that we are safe with our wood burn stove warming us up! Glad of the consern though! without a question..:lol:

Formaldehyde is an intermediate in the combustion reaction, so I wouldn't fret too much about burning that, as long as your fire is hot.

No disrespect but you understand that that is just one element of a complicated composite material. It is also not within your ability to control the level of oxidation (ie complete combustion) in an open fire. That is why incineration plants cost Millions of £sss to build and operate and are in constant public battles even then.

And one none green wood piece , regardless, turns your bonfire into an illegal incineration site for profit, and releases heavy metals like copper from preservatives into the environment in ultra small particles and even vapor, forever that site is contaminated. Think about it.

Regardless of the public misconception waste management is a very tightly controlled and expensive operation. Land fill is now a carefully cataloged process in which nothing is allowed to escape into the landscape. They are lined and sealed. Potentially they will become the mines of the future when other resources run out.

All treated timber is officially controled toxic waste and is treated by the athorities with that specific legislation.

Like I say no disrespect but if you resaerch this and gain a better understanding of the sensitive issues involved you may change your mind....

Well legally you can't do that. You need to factor in cost of chippers etc becaue that is what proffessional tree companies do. If they give a quote based on doing it properly then so should you. Bending the rules so you get the job over another firm is off hand IMO.

Rupe, as one of my favourite posters on arbtalk, I am dissapointed with this shocking example of chipperism!!!

I had a long day at the office and can't be bothered to type my counter argument.

So I will just say this - You can't bake a potato on a chipper! :sneaky2:

We were working a SSSI a while ago, strict conditions set etc, all veg matter had to be chipped and spread on site and NO FIRES. EA were working the same site less than 100m away, beside a water course and had a series of fires burning, and thugh I woud never dream of accusing them of using tires to get the green stuff going, it looked and smelled as if they were. One rule for them and one for us methinks:001_rolleyes:

We were working a SSSI a while ago, strict conditions set etc, all veg matter had to be chipped and spread on site and NO FIRES. EA were working the same site less than 100m away, beside a water course and had a series of fires burning, and thugh I woud never dream of accusing them of using tires to get the green stuff going, it looked and smelled as if they were. One rule for them and one for us methinks:001_rolleyes:

They told me they were industrial spec fire lighters.....:001_tt2: