What machinery is best to move stuff on a slope

18 minutes ago, AHPP said:

Thank you very much.

There are 3 more pages I can image but they are mostly accessories and how a dual capstan winch works.

I was very keen on these dual capstan winches but only ever came across them for cable pulling underground and tensioning power lines by Plummet when they were in this country by Knepp Castle, frightening cost. The only ones I physically touched but never got to use were the Nokkens on LR101s (mine was not so equipped)and a complex Plummet made under licence by Warburtons and fitted to the military engineering Samson CVRT.

The reason for my interest was for a bit lighter  footprint than the logbullet type device by using their unique constant force in a novel, simple to erect high lead and locking carriage.

13 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

There are 3 more pages I can image but they are mostly accessories and how a dual capstan winch works.

I was very keen on these dual capstan winches but only ever came across them for cable pulling underground and tensioning power lines by Plummet when they were in this country by Knepp Castle, frightening cost. The only ones I physically touched but never got to use were the Nokkens on LR101s (mine was not so equipped)and a complex Plummet made under licence by Warburtons and fitted to the military engineering Samson CVRT.

The reason for my interest was for a bit lighter  footprint than the logbullet type device by using their unique constant force in a novel, simple to erect high lead and locking carriage.

Well if you're at a loose end, I'd read them. I like capstans. I've been sporadically pondering a rapidly deployable ski tow based on them.

3 hours ago, Stere said:

Intetesting idea

😲

Pulley Man - The Portable Winch and Hoist Ref 169-1 The Pulley Man is a portable winch that can hoist up to 600 kg...

Yes some interesting kit about, I wonder if that would stand up to forestry work.

In my browsing I came across this:

Which is ingenious in that the carriage is geared to drive the fan much faster than the pulley that is running on the cableway. As the power absorbed by the fan is  proportional to the cube of its rpm (IIRC)  it hits a terminal velocity. This is similar to the air  governor in those swiss musical boxes.

Anyone who has tried winching stuff downhill off steep slopes can understand how an uncontrolled log slide can be dangerous but this would limit that. In principle the cableway could be slackened to attach the load and then tightened  to lift the log and away it would go, with perhaps a control line on the back end .

• Like 1

In the absence of a decent winch tractor or limited access I think a portable capstan will do most jobs, that contraption I made up has been busy this year on a number of jobs. It dragged this suicidal Beech out of the Basingstoke canal and up a 100 foot plus steep bank, lack of snaps because it was pissing down and my ipad was drowned.

IMG_3839.thumb.JPG.a4c07e132578125be671a598cf4a51c5.JPG

and some others

IMG_3890.thumb.JPG.ceb18b3503a94a70586f563d06edfd4b.JPG

IMG_3892.thumb.JPG.cb147aaa379154acf2eb71fcdc1c797d.JPG

IMG_3893.thumb.JPG.36a519328313d754cceab31cfbbed781.JPG

IMG_3898.thumb.JPG.b008fb3dc322d57983c0fb126fcffb55.JPG

IMG_3894.thumb.JPG.a055e429af634e0564e3335bb9856984.JPG

IMG_3895.thumb.JPG.3ac4e3291fa0a6ea4b433de16bf5eda7.JPG

IMG_3891.JPG

4 hours ago, aspenarb said:

In the absence of a decent winch tractor or limited access I think a portable capstan will do most jobs, that contraption I made up has been busy this year on a number of jobs. It dragged this suicidal Beech out of the Basingstoke canal and up a 100 foot plus steep bank, lack of snaps because it was pissing down and my ipad was drowned.

IMG_3839.thumb.JPG.a4c07e132578125be671a598cf4a51c5.JPG

Deepcut by the broken sewer? I wondered who did it but didn't walk that way much in the last year and now the boat is sold.