What machinery is best to move stuff on a slope

11 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

Sorry no and I have googled a few search terms with no luck either.

I attended every APF show from1974 to about 2000 so if anyone has a collection of show programmes...

No. Christ. I don't care that much. Thanks though.

16 minutes ago, AHPP said:

What's the radiotir?

It was a radio controlled ~15kN (nearly 30cwt pull) winch in a sled. The FC imported about three under a special licence from the GPO to operate them. At the time it was strictly verboten to use unauthorised radio transmitters  (we used american CBs to let the lady operating the skyline when to pull. Every now and then, the lads said as I was only there in margam a very short time,, a voice would come in threatening prosecution and to cease and desist cluttering up the airwaves  used by the emergency services). lack of allowed frequencies was I think  why the FC did not continue with them.

Basically it was a 10hp 2t powered double capstan winch enclosed in a fibreglass sled. The take up reel had a very long wire rope, maybe 300 metres. The thing was fuelled up and put on an extraction  ride with the operator walking off with the hook till he was level with the rack the produce was to come down or up. He then put a strop around a suitable tree and press the remote control to winch in. The sled then pulled itself to him. The sled was then anchored to a tree and the operator walked up to the poles and  extracted them to the winch or its redirect pulley as new racks were extracted.

The interesting thing about it was it stayed ticking over most of the time but when the winch-in signal was received the engine speeded up and a centrifugal clutch engaged the capstans and the take up spool. The wire pulled in at constant speed and maximum force was available all the time. When release it slowed to tick over, the clutch disengaged but the capstans went into reverse, so when the operator pulled the wire the capstans pulled the wire off the spool and paid it out all the time the operator tensioned the wire.

It was a radio controlled ~15kN (nearly 30cwt pull) winch in a sled. The FC imported about three under a special licence from the GPO to operate them. At the time it was strictly verboten to use unauthorised radio transmitters  (we used american CBs to let the lady operating the skyline when to pull. Every now and then, the lads said as I was only there in margam a very short time,, a voice would come in threatening prosecution and to cease and desist cluttering up the airwaves  used by the emergency services). lack of allowed frequencies was I think  why the FC did not continue with them.

Basically it was a 10hp 2t powered double capstan winch enclosed in a fibreglass sled. The take up reel had a very long wire rope, maybe 300 metres. The thing was fuelled up and put on an extraction  ride with the operator walking off with the hook till he was level with the rack the produce was to come down or up. He then put a strop around a suitable tree and press the remote control to winch in. The sled then pulled itself to him. The sled was then anchored to a tree and the operator walked up to the poles and  extracted them to the winch or its redirect pulley as new racks were extracted.

The interesting thing about it was it stayed ticking over most of the time but when the winch-in signal was received the engine speeded up and a centrifugal clutch engaged the capstans and the take up spool. The wire pulled in at constant speed and maximum force was available all the time. When release it slowed to tick over, the clutch disengaged but the capstans went into reverse, so when the operator pulled the wire the capstans pulled the wire off the spool and paid it out all the time the operator tensioned the wire.

Nice. Post the leaflet if convenient please.

19 hours ago, AHPP said:

Openspaceman, the voracious capitalist he is, will surely be back with an offer to take a photo of his for $20.

I'm glad you posted that so I could be on an earner.

I rushed home and searched my bookshelf with old advertising bumph I had picked up at shows but became rather dejected when I couldn't find it.

I may still have it somewhere but it may have gone in a fit of tidying up.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, AHPP said:

Interested but not $29 interested.

The radiotir was of it's time, the main feature was the way if managed with just one  radio signal, with modern comms there is no need to be stuck with just one function and indeed the motor could be auto started and throttle modulated to control speed. The double capstan does offer more utility that a normal drum winch. I still like 2t engines for this sort of application in case they get flipped over.

At work today while I was stripping several lawsons cypress and our glamorous assistant was dragging and feeding the chipper I was  mulling this thread over and thinking about that reciprocating strap with the logs travelling down on it.

Back at my last job I had to dispose of  a wire cored flip line by DMS that failed a loler inspection, I have used the clutch to pull 13mm steel pins out of the ground for which it excelled. I reckon if the roped was always taught from the bungee the DMS would act as a one way clutch on that system.

• Like 1