What machinery is best to move stuff on a slope

How about theese remote control  bank mowers with a skid cone?

Forestry one:

WWW.PFANZELT.COM

The Pfanzelt Moritz Fr50 mini felling tractor takes care of felling and forwarding in challenging terrain. ✓ All functions...

Edited by Stere

On 25/07/2021 at 09:35, Slad said:

We have some woodland, <20 acres, which is on a steep slope - 100m from top to bottom.  Road access is possible at the top and bottom, What would you suggest please?

With steep banks you need to work tidy and keep everything underfoot clear, cut and stack/windrow/burn brash as you go. A capstan would probably suit your needs, as you have an access road at the top/bottom of the slope you could rig up a pulley block on the top section and pull a stick down at the same time as pulling one up to the top.

Bob

• Like 2

7 hours ago, aspenarb said:

A capstan would probably suit your needs, as you have an access road at the top/bottom of the slope you could rig up a pulley block on the top section and pull a stick down at the same time as pulling one up to the top.

Now that's a good idea, you would use the weight of the one going down to assist the one going up. 

• Like 1

On 28/07/2021 at 10:03, Stere said:

How about these remote control  bank mowers with a skid cone?

Forestry one:

WWW.PFANZELT.COM

The Pfanzelt Moritz Fr50 mini felling tractor takes care of felling and forwarding in challenging terrain. ✓ All functions...

Perfect, but I think probably too expensive for us.  :(

With steep banks you need to work tidy and keep everything underfoot clear, cut and stack/windrow/burn brash as you go. A capstan would probably suit your needs, as you have an access road at the top/bottom of the slope you could rig up a pulley block on the top section and pull a stick down at the same time as pulling one up to the top.

That's what I'm playing with at the moment.  We've got 200m 14mm polyprop (about as "dynamic" as you'll ever see - I'm sure you could use it for bungey jumping) in a loop with swivel and pulley at both ends (polyprop is another word for "likes to tie itself in knots").  I'm pulling the loop tight with two double pulleys (no decent anchor close enough) and tying that off.  Then as Woody P says, jumbo bags or cargo net at each end with the full one pulling the empty up.  I might use an ID to control the decent or just let the ground slow things down - the anchor at the lower end has a slight rise in front of it.

What could possibly go worng... 🤠

If it works, I'll look at maybe getting a better rope and really like the look of those capstan winches too.  In budget and multi-purpose.

Edited by Slad

Guest Gimlet
7 hours ago, Slad said:

Perfect, but I think probably too expensive for us.  :(

Don't know about those ATMs but £25K for a used Robocut and probably another 10 for a grapple attachment I would think. 

35 minutes ago, Stere said:

Suppose tracked barrow would be the more budget version but they look abit unstable for steeper slopes

They’re fine if you get the weight distribution right. And if it goes wrong, you roll it back over, bend the handlebars back and laugh about it. 

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...
On 26/07/2021 at 21:27, openspaceman said:

Sorry no and I have googled a few search terms with no luck either.

I attended every APF show from1974 to about 2000 so if anyone has a collection of show programmes...

We used it when I worked for EFG in Fort William - the name used was the 'Snake' but I don't recall the manufacturer but fairly certain it was Swedish. 
The additional features were that you did not need a straight drag as the strap was passed through open pulleys. When the sliders got to the tractor, there was a fixing on the strap that dropped the slider off the strap so technically several sliders could accumulate before the operator had to walk back to the tractor, take the sliders off and walk back out repeating the process. The main issue was that the load could catch on stumps but if I remember correctly a cone could be used if this was a big problem. The trick was to get the route to snake thus avoiding obstacles.

• Thanks 1

On 27/07/2021 at 19:50, openspaceman said:
On 26/07/2021 at 23:55, AHPP said:

Openspaceman, the voracious capitalist he is, will surely be back with an offer to take a photo of his for $20.

I'm glad you posted that so I could be on an earner.

I rushed home and searched my bookshelf with old advertising bumph I had picked up at shows but became rather dejected when I couldn't find it.

I may still have it somewhere but it may have gone in a fit of tidying up.

@AHPP Whilst searching for something entirely different I came across this filed away somewhere safe :)

kolpe.thumb.jpeg.9faf4d3e4726688925cbc338d9a438f5.jpeg

• Haha 1

If you want your piano tuned employ a piano tuner.

Employ a forestry contractor with e.g. small Valtra and winch and they will extract more timber in a day than you will in a 7 day week.

If you wish to do it all yourself, buy a Canadian Capstan winch with 360 degree Honda engine and skidding cone from Treadlight and you can do the work piecemeal when you have the time.

I can't imagine tackling the job in any other way that would make financial and logistical sense.

Good luck, sounds like a worthwhile project.

• Like 2