Jump to content
Treemover

Mid range strimmer

Recommended Posts

We have a big husky on the farm and it’s a heavy pig for clearing grass and weeds around fence poles . I have rented other machines, and they are usually 4 stoke or large 2 stoke. All heavy lumps.

 

yesterday I rented a Stihl fs70c and when I grabbed it ; it was so light. I was impressed by its performance. 

 

Only thing, my brother owns the husky. The big one; but he’s killed it twice. So he bought an ego battery model, im sure it is the small one; but it’s put up with years of torture. 

 

I have a 30 hp kioti with a concept flail, so just need a strimmer to tidy up edges and hard to reach areas on boundaries etc. 

 

i have a 1000w inverter; so I have no problem using a battery; and I don’t like using stimmers continuously, so I could do other things as it charges

 

the real attraction is no fuel. No smell in the Jeep. 

 

Ohh, I find changing out the cord a pain,  esp if the boundary is by a wall or fence. I seem to chew through cord in 3-5 mins. Is the auto feed a good thing? 

 

I was so impressed by the Stihl fs70c I’d be happy to buy one. But I’m also tempted to opt for an ego or husky battery unit. Most likely the husky as I then plan on the new top handled 540i when I can afford it. 

 

Any advice? Much appreciated 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once you have bought into a battery system it’s expensive to change would look at all the tools you will always want another one 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My only fear is that petrol (and diesel) is going to become more expensive. So I’m trying to look further than here and now. 

 

As long as the battery units can run the same cord; then I might go that route? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A Stihl FS460 will do all you want, is well balanced, comfortabel harness, and mine have been very tough.

 

The anti vibration of the big petrol Stihls (360 upwards) is far better than the FS70 or 94. Not sure about electric, but I'd rather have the power personally. If you're going in with a tractor flail and then tidying the edges, there may not be a lot to strim but it will still be plenty thick, and you need a brushcutter not a strimmer IMHO.

 

As for petrol getting more expensive- I take it you're not looking to change the tractor for a hydrogen one on that basis?! So don't worry about it, that litre of petrol for strimming the edges will save you many times it's cost over waiting for a comparatively gutless battery machine to finish the job. If you don't like the smell, leave the strimmer on the trailer with the tractor!

 

Batteries are great for domestics, they are not cost effective enough yet for commercial and rural clearance. There's a reason forestry crews don't run electric saws yet (and probably never will)

 

Edited by doobin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not really interested in bigger units. We have the largest Husky and I don’t like using it. Plus it’s extra outlay. 

I don’t strim too often. But renting units at €40 per day and the lost time collecting and dropping it back eats into my productivity. 

 

If the battery units won’t run a 3mil line; that rules them out; I see they recommend 2 mil; but is anyone using 3 mil with different heads?

 

i like the husky feed system. 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Treemover said:

I’m not really interested in bigger units. We have the largest Husky and I don’t like using it. Plus it’s extra outlay. 

I don’t strim too often. But renting units at €40 per day and the lost time collecting and dropping it back eats into my productivity. 

 

If the battery units won’t run a 3mil line; that rules them out; I see they recommend 2 mil; but is anyone using 3 mil with different heads?

 

i like the husky feed system. 

 

 

Battery units simply don’t have the power to cope with the extra drag of 3mm line. Much as battery saws won’t pull a 20” bar. It is what it is. 
 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I currently have 3 different stimmer/brushcutters.

2stroke 52cc (Kawasaki)

4stroke 50cc (Honda)

36v Husky 535

 

The one that gets the most use, and earns the most money for me, is the husky battery machine. It's been on 2.7mm square line from new, nearly 18mths now.

Low vibe, low noise, low running costs, no exhaust fumes, really nice balance to it (with bli300 battery)

 

 

I've never used a Stihl fs70, but if it's 27cc then the Husky battery 535 will be a good bit more powerful.

 

The inverter would be no use for battery charging, you need mains power.

 

 

Agree with Dumper, look at all the tools available in each battery system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, scbk said:

I currently have 3 different stimmer/brushcutters.

2stroke 52cc (Kawasaki)

4stroke 50cc (Honda)

36v Husky 535

 

The one that gets the most use, and earns the most money for me, is the husky battery machine. It's been on 2.7mm square line from new, nearly 18mths now.

Low vibe, low noise, low running costs, no exhaust fumes, really nice balance to it (with bli300 battery)

 

 

I've never used a Stihl fs70, but if it's 27cc then the Husky battery 535 will be a good bit more powerful.

 

The inverter would be no use for battery charging, you need mains power.

 

 

Agree with Dumper, look at all the tools available in each battery system.

That’s very reassuring. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/06/2021 at 10:15, Treemover said:

We have a big husky on the farm and it’s a heavy pig for clearing grass and weeds around fence poles . I have rented other machines, and they are usually 4 stoke or large 2 stoke. All heavy lumps.

 

yesterday I rented a Stihl fs70c and when I grabbed it ; it was so light. I was impressed by its performance. 

 

Only thing, my brother owns the husky. The big one; but he’s killed it twice. So he bought an ego battery model, im sure it is the small one; but it’s put up with years of torture. 

 

I have a 30 hp kioti with a concept flail, so just need a strimmer to tidy up edges and hard to reach areas on boundaries etc. 

 

i have a 1000w inverter; so I have no problem using a battery; and I don’t like using stimmers continuously, so I could do other things as it charges

 

the real attraction is no fuel. No smell in the Jeep. 

 

Ohh, I find changing out the cord a pain,  esp if the boundary is by a wall or fence. I seem to chew through cord in 3-5 mins. Is the auto feed a good thing? 

 

I was so impressed by the Stihl fs70c I’d be happy to buy one. But I’m also tempted to opt for an ego or husky battery unit. Most likely the husky as I then plan on the new top handled 540i when I can afford it. 

 

Any advice? Much appreciated 

 

Used to use top of the range Husqvarna brushcutter/strimmers which were powerful (>50 cm3) but heavy but needed the power on some jobs and were replaced at the end of each grass cutting season, but have been using now for some Stihl FS450 which is 44cm3 (2.1kW) with 2.4mm line and blade (equivalent now would be FS460), I find the FS 450 not too heavy and with enough power for most situations, the FS70c would definitely not be powerful enough to meet my needs (27cm3/0.9kW) but I could imagine it would be suitable for lighter grass cutting jobs and doesn’t weigh as much. No experience with battery powered machines but would think probably not powerful enough for my needs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/06/2021 at 10:15, Treemover said:

We have a big husky on the farm and it’s a heavy pig for clearing grass and weeds around fence poles . I have rented other machines, and they are usually 4 stoke or large 2 stoke. All heavy lumps.

 

yesterday I rented a Stihl fs70c and when I grabbed it ; it was so light. I was impressed by its performance. 

 

Only thing, my brother owns the husky. The big one; but he’s killed it twice. So he bought an ego battery model, im sure it is the small one; but it’s put up with years of torture. 

 

I have a 30 hp kioti with a concept flail, so just need a strimmer to tidy up edges and hard to reach areas on boundaries etc. 

 

i have a 1000w inverter; so I have no problem using a battery; and I don’t like using stimmers continuously, so I could do other things as it charges

 

the real attraction is no fuel. No smell in the Jeep. 

 

Ohh, I find changing out the cord a pain,  esp if the boundary is by a wall or fence. I seem to chew through cord in 3-5 mins. Is the auto feed a good thing? 

 

I was so impressed by the Stihl fs70c I’d be happy to buy one. But I’m also tempted to opt for an ego or husky battery unit. Most likely the husky as I then plan on the new top handled 540i when I can afford it. 

 

Any advice? Much appreciated 

 

Hi Friends doing Solar Farms when up to it go give him some help and there like the wild west/jungle chest height  some of the gears grown not to mention the grass etc is very dense as most get a large dollop of Country pancake through the soil as on farms.

Hes been using a head that you unscrew top and strings half loop in gear hes found is an orange stuff that has a twist in it to me looks like the Husky whisper? but been pretty tough lasts well but like most with the sudden growth most places have had since cold spell ended finding grass n crap folds on head and chokes it.

But my Kawasaki KBH48 have an Oregon Jet pro head run flexy blade which is ok around structure and the Techni blade (RED) some like the thinner ones but that with two strings decimates the grass one sweep and it's like been cutting the Hay! but also heads clear unless you don't go back into bunches then can collect a bit.

But the Techni blade lasts very well(Just make sure mind like should with all strimmer cord keep it moist or becomes brittle! tubes come with a foam pad which is to make wet every so often and keep tube sealed up but i have a large plastic box with sealed lid.

Friends now gone to that system.

It will take out Brambles and quite heavy stuff also there are some videos on you tube on it.

 

With Machines it's all about setting up the Harness! as a decently sett up heavy machine will always feel better/easier than a poorly set up light one.

Harness that gets good rep is the Husky Balance XT

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  •  

  • Featured Adverts

  • Tip site reviews

About

Arbtalk.co.uk is a hub for the arboriculture industry in the UK.  
If you're just starting out and you need business, equipment, tech or training support you're in the right place.  If you've done it, made it, got a van load of oily t-shirts and have decided to give something back by sharing your knowledge or wisdom,  then you're welcome too.
If you would like to contribute to making this industry more effective and safe then welcome.
Just like a living tree, it'll always be a work in progress.
Please have a look around, sign up, share and contribute the best you have.

See you inside.

The Arbtalk Team

Follow us

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.